Old dimer, new member.

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
warmseth

Old dimer, new member.

Post by warmseth »

Hey all. My name is Seth. I had a 510 that I owned from 98 till 06 when I sold it reluctantly. It was a 71 with a pretty sick L20 low compression built motor for forced induction. I bought an old school draw through (through a holly 600!) turbo setup complete with a turbo tom intake. unfortunately I taco'ed the car before putting the turbo in and then got burned BAD on some body work that was horrible. I ended up selling it to a kid in arizona (I'm in LA) and my 510 with $15k invested went away for $3k. :/

Anyway, I've been itching for another since then. I'm looking to buy either a 2door, or as I just had a baby...I can't believe I'm about to say this...I'm interested in a wagon too.

Pic of my old car just for kicks.

warmseth

Re: Old dimer, new member.

Post by warmseth »

thanks for the warm welcome :wink:
James

Post by James »

Looks like you had a nice car there (revolution wheels? - cool!)
Welcome to the site - its a good time to be buying a 510.
Finished is better than perfect......
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

And wagons pretty much reached their zenith of popularity just a few years ago. EVERYONE had a wagon. Lots can be done with 'em, and they're much more useful as a family car compared to a two-door. As James says, now is the time to buy. Couple nice stock wagons recently traded hands here in SoCal, so they're still out there.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
warmseth

Post by warmseth »

Thanks guys. The wheels are13" Brigestones that my old friend Haji Arata (RIP) sold me when I bought the car from him. The car I'm looking at belongs to James up in the Sacramento area. It's a white wagon with 14 panasports, camber plates, rear discs, an sss head...other goodies. Decent looking little car. I've never driven a 510 wagon. I loved the way my 2 door handled (except for the ball and joint steering it was quite miata-esque), perfect 4 wheel slides. So what with the live rear axle I'm a little concerned that it won't be as fun but utility is a factor these days. And if I get up to James' swap meet that he's having this weekend and happen to buy a 2dr with an sr motor, who could blame me?? :wink:
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Welcome aboard Seth! Don't worry so much about the handling, they can work pretty well in that department. I still daily one up here and drove one on the recent Octoberfast and almost kept up this time :lol: !
Jason
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Wagon's aren't the same as the sedans, so they will handle differently. They can still be made fun (depending on your definition of fun). My first 510 was a wagon and my next project is likely to be a wagon.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Welcome. Too bad about your old car, it was really slick.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Hey there, I knew Haji too, I am still good friends with Gwan.... just got off the phone with him. His shop is right around the corner from me. If you are ever down here, stop in to say hi, will go check him out... he has a couple nice 510's in his shop and a pretty ridiculous parts stock pile (that you've probably seen as they were in his and Haji's place on Washington Blvd).
warmseth

Post by warmseth »

Yeah I'm an old friend of Gwan's too. those pics at the top of the page were taken at their old shop on washington (TRS). I'm still missing a set of performance headers that I bought for that car that were either with Haji or at George Toyama's place when Haji died. Nobody could tell me what happened to the headers which sucked 'cause they weren't cheap. Oh well. I miss Haji. Great great spirit.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Durrr. Yeah, I didn't even notice the location....you can see Gwan's old ITC car on the trailer in the back. The guy that bought that car uses it as a street car, I saw it a JCCS af few years ago. Have you asked Gwan about the headers? I have seen a couple sets, I think, in his pile of 510 performance parts.