hello there

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
murderwagon

hello there

Post by murderwagon » 08 Nov 2009 13:25

hey guys. i live in central new york, therefore i have the only 510 in my area unless someone is hiding one. it took me 6 years of searching to find the car i bought last October its a 1970 wagon car had 55k miles, mint body, a fresh rebuilt motor ,bad automatic tranny, and a shot interior. first thing i did was rip that automatic out and did a 280zx 5 speed swap, lowered it 2 inches, and sprayed it black . and i have been driving it everywhere everyday all summer and i love. well winter is here and its time to put her up. so its time to build her bigger/stronger/faster/more badass. my winter plans included a suspension build, front and rear coil overs,sway bars, shocks bushing, brake upgrades, steering, engine swap, interior and all that jazz. i am planning on driving around the country in the wagon next summer with my girlfriend. so that is my objective i want a fast fun car that is reliable to get me around for a few thousand miles away from home. i asked a few opinions on ratsun and they just angered me. bunch of jerks over there few helpful guys but mostly jerks thanks and i hope this site is different and more helpful .

510rob

Re: hello there

Post by 510rob » 08 Nov 2009 15:43

I said get Brett Weir!!! I think we can all be jerks sometimes, but when a New Yorker is calling someone a jerk, they must be REALLY bad!!! hahaha... isn't NY the home of Frank Rizzo and Saul Rosenberg? R I Z Z O!!!

Sounds like you've got a good start with your wagon - welcome to our site, sizzle chest! I'm silly! SILLY! Speedin' up and down, and all over the place... ...only a few broken bones... :P

defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes » 08 Nov 2009 16:08

Hey welcome. I will be in VT by Spring time, so all of us North Eastern 510's will have to hook up....you could probably fit all of us in your wagon! I am going to have to get used to having a 6 month a year car. Good luck with the off season plan, take some pics.

thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt » 08 Nov 2009 16:17

Don't worry, I'm a bigger jerk over here than there. :lol: Just wait until okayfine chimes in.

That's a pretty big list of things to do, both financially and time wise. Possible if you have a lot of money and want to outsource the work, or if you yourself are a good and fast fabricator. You didn't really specify either over on ratsun. I think you should focus on one aspect at a time. The complete overhaul of the rear end could wait while you do a motor swap, or vice versa. Doing the interior at the same time as either would be premature due to the likely modifications you'll end up doing. Personally, I think a VG33E makes a lot of sense in a wagon, especially if you plan to utilize the cargo/people carrying ability of it.
I'm your huckleberry.

510rob

Post by 510rob » 08 Nov 2009 17:26

thisismatt wrote::lol: Just wait until okayfine chimes in.
hehehehe...

murderwagon

Post by murderwagon » 08 Nov 2009 17:36

Thanks guys, and to answer a few of your questions Matt. I own/run a hot rod fabrication shop with a few of my good friends called, Redrum Fabrication in Syracuse NY. One of my partners is a long time Datsun veteran scca guy. He won a few new England regional championships and all that good stuff, but he is a z guy. So I am just looking for some ifs/hows on some ideas I have heard about. I have a full fab shop but not a whole lot of time to try stuff that isn't going to work, or engineer something that a million other people have done already. That's why I ask. Half the people on Ratsun assume everyone knows nothing because of new membership. I simply want answers so I will try here.

thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt » 08 Nov 2009 17:43

Cool. Asking pointed questions will garner more intelligent responses.
I'm your huckleberry.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 08 Nov 2009 17:55

murderwagon wrote:So I am just looking for some ifs/hows on some ideas I have heard about. I have a full fab shop but not a whole lot of time to try stuff that isn't going to work, or engineer something that a million other people have done already. That's why I ask. Half the people on Ratsun assume everyone knows nothing because of new membership. I simply want answers so I will try here.
Answers? I give you The Dime, Quarterly back issues collection:
http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/articles.shtml

Full of information, documented and photographed. If you're just looking for answers to the standard questions, it'll be in those back issues or here via the Search.

As Matt has mentioned, specific questions will get the best responses. Especially if you give us background on intended use or whatever other qualifiers will help us help you, 'cause we can't read yer mind.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

murderwagon

Post by murderwagon » 08 Nov 2009 17:56

thank you much

rnorrish

Post by rnorrish » 08 Nov 2009 19:29

Rear coilovers? This sounds like a long winter!

The best approach for the front end would be to accumulate all the bits and pieces first. Since it sounds like you want to over haul the steering bits too, you could have everything ready to go and swap it all in one shot in an afternoon.
The only questions would be spring rate and sway bar options, and that would depend a bit on the motor choice, and comfort.
After that, it's a pretty standard formula of what to use for daily driving - if you can find the bits out there (280ZX struts and brakes.)

For the rear, are you planning on changing the leaf springs for something else? Multi-link setup and coilovers?
Or just coilovers as a helper system?

Welcome to the cool site. 8)
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 08 Nov 2009 23:09

First - welcome to the Realm - too bad you got a bum rap over at Ratsun, I've been treated well there!!

Anyways - you don't need a thing to make you wagon go around the country. I took a driving vacation in my 1970 wagon, from Vancouver BC to St John’s Newfoundland, and back - and it was no strait line. We pretty much drove on average 6 hours a day for 4 months strait - accumulated just over 20 000 km a saw the country - no reason a One Lap of America can't be done the same way (wish I would have done that as well!). Anyways, my wagon was outfitted with a monster roof rack - bolted through the roof so that airborne on gravel roads wasn't going to present a problem! In that roof rack I built 5 plywood boxes for our crap – one for me, one for my companion, one for dry food, one for the cooking weapons and one for gear - the roof rack IS necessary - then there's not too much crap in the car. The girl I traveled with was awesome for the trip, we took a tent, but ended up only using it 3 times - sleeping in the back of the wagon was awesome - just take an air mattress. The ones they have today would have been so good, but even the ones we used 10 years ago worked fine. I had curtains around all the back windows, an electric cooler, a Colman stove and we cooked every meal for that trip! It was total budget deal, and we did well! We became the king and queen of the one pot meal - then I usually ate out of the pot to save a dish! (Erika chose to be a lady and used a plate :D).
So I got off topic, you don't need much more that a comfortable pair of late model seats, a good stereo to keep the demons at bay, good tires and obviously a well maintained car. We had three mechanicals on that whole trip; the 30 Amp stock alternator wasn't enough for the rather power hungry cooler - bought a 65 amp 280ZX unit along the way and installed it. Calved the water pump - god knows how many miles were on it before I drug that car out from under a tree!, and the last one scared us the most - in the middle of butf**k nowhere, literally miles from anywhere - in the heart of French speaking country (we didn’t speak a word of French!) - The car starts to loose power. I kept on driving fearing the worst, the car got slower, and slower... till we finally stopped, opened the hood – frickin oil everywhere! It was bad, I mean really bad. It took about ten minutes to realize that the fuel stock pump had backed off its studs, and the pump lever just didn’t move much anymore – and where there was oil everywhere. I guess someone along the way had changed the pump and figured those cool lock washers weren’t necessary. It was tightened up, and the next car wash took care of the environmental disaster under the hood and we were away again!
Got off topic again…Anyways, do the trip – don’t worry about the car yet. I eventually slammed that car on ZX struts, with camber plates, coilovers, adjustable T/C rods, built an EFI LZ 2.2 for it, installed 15” wheels… but I think the fact that it was a bone stock L16 (with a Webber DGV) with a matchbox EI distributor and a ZX tall overdrive 5 spd was what made the car reliable for the trip. I wouldn’t want to do that kind of mileage in a stiff low car, I know we wouldn’t have lasted on some of the roads we took! And likely the car wouldn’t have either :D

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 08 Nov 2009 23:12

The photos were crap, but the trip was awesome!

Byron
Attachments
X-Canada, Manitoba0003.jpg
X Canada 510 Wagon0006 (Large).JPG
X Canada 510 Wagon0002 (Large).JPG
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

murderwagon

Post by murderwagon » 09 Nov 2009 07:08

that is awsome. I definitly have been keeping an eye out for a roof rack.if any one has one for sale let me know. however most of my car needs to be rebuilt anyway. So I figured I would go bigger and better, but I dont want a race car. I want something better than stock. I plan on leaving around mid may.

hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 » 09 Nov 2009 12:01

if you dont currently have holes in the roof for a rack, get a aftermarket rack (gutter mount)

thisismatt wrote:Don't worry, I'm a bigger jerk over here than there. :lol:
:lol:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.

murderwagon

Post by murderwagon » 09 Nov 2009 13:29

ok where do i get a gutter mount rack. and as for the rear suspension i am going to do a helper spring shock for now. as well as add a rear swaybar