A bit late on this....

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
gbean
Supporter

Re: A bit late on this....

Post by gbean »

gbean wrote:FML

Edit: Just found 50mm 12x1.25 50mm studs with a 13mm knurl. at http://www.mysr20.com

hope they work
Now just waiting on Specialty Engineering and getting their 5/8" spacer.
I see some lip rolling in my near future.

Damnit.
I found some 12x1.25 50mm studs with the correct knurl last night. They also hav e 60mm available if needed.... But I hope to not get to that point.

Where were you with this info a year ago Julian?! ^_^
"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
-Isaac Asimov
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Looks like you've got the info, if the 1.25 studs are inexpensive. I only found the 1.5 ARP stuff and figured it would be "easier" to just switch to Z31 hubs :lol:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

Duplicate post.... Mod delete?
Last edited by gbean on 23 Jan 2010 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
-Isaac Asimov
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

Oh, don't get me wrong, this is all temporary.

The 50mm studs were only $2 ea.

I just need to drive the thing. Its my DD normally.
I plan on getting some z31 hubs/rotors this week and saving a little for the wilwood dynalite calipers. I am skilled enough to make the bracket, and have some great local help if needed.

While I have your attention, which part # dynalite caliper am I going to use? I can't seem to find that info on the realm...
-Isaac Asimov
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

gbean wrote:While I have your attention, which part # dynalite caliper am I going to use? I can't seem to find that info on the realm...
It's in the DQ article, which I actually don't have handy.

It would also depend on your end-result brake plan. Drums in the rear? Discs? If discs, which calipers, etc. BMC? How do you like your pedal feel/effectiveness?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

okayfine wrote:
gbean wrote:While I have your attention, which part # dynalite caliper am I going to use? I can't seem to find that info on the realm...
It's in the DQ article, which I actually don't have handy.

It would also depend on your end-result brake plan. Drums in the rear? Discs? If discs, which calipers, etc. BMC? How do you like your pedal feel/effectiveness?
I guess I will have to determine all that once the 280zx brakes finally get on the car.
I am planning on using the 15/16" m/c however.
At this point I will probably get the 11/16" rear brake cylinders. I plan on a maxima rear disc swap someday. I just wish people didn't charge so much for such a simple bracket to complete the swap.
This has already cost much more than planned and the wife isn't so happy about it.
-Isaac Asimov
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

gbean wrote:This has already cost much more than planned and the wife isn't so happy about it.
Sorry, that's funny!

I'd recommend against the 15/16ths BMC unless you're going to run a booster. Or unless you like a dead brake pedal that requires ridiculous effort to actuate. Bigger BMC doesn't mean more brakes.
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

Thanks. I am fully aware of the physics in hydrualic systems and their flow and pressure dynamics.
We have had this discussion in other threads as well.

I already have the m/c, and a b210 booster is on the way. (I had one for a 1980 200sx, but it was free and didn't fit. I was able to use it for a core.)
I am going to install the m/c and rear drum cyclinders first and see what I think.
Any idea what the OE brake cylinder dia. Is on a 71 dime? Also, is the stroke length different from the OE as compared to the 11/16" from a 1200?
-Isaac Asimov
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

gbean wrote:Thanks. I am fully aware of the physics in hydrualic systems and their flow and pressure dynamics.
We have had this discussion in other threads as well.
Apologies. So many people talk about it, it's tough to keep track sometimes. Coulda helped a brotha' out and mentioned you had a booster coming:)
gbean wrote:Any idea what the OE brake cylinder dia. Is on a 71 dime? Also, is the stroke length different from the OE as compared to the 11/16" from a 1200?
Stock 510 BMC is 3/4". Or were you talking about brake wheel cylinders?
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

Yes I was asking about the drum brake actuation cylinders.
-Isaac Asimov
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

gbean wrote:Yes I was asking about the drum brake actuation cylinders.
I don't recall, but believe them to be 13/16". You could look 'em up on Rockauto if nothing else, handy that they usually have that sort of information. Would also imagine the stroke length would be the same, the mechanisms are very similar.
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

So I got the 13/16ths wheels cylinders, new drums and shoes.
I havent put any of the stuff on because the oe 510 M/C and the 280zx fronts with stock rears feels fine for now.

I did however get some z31 hubs this week (4 lug.)
-Isaac Asimov
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Yeah, pedal feel is partially a personal thing.
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

So after a bit of searching both here and elsewhere, I cant find any info on what to use as an appropriate dust boot for my front strut cartridges (shocks). I think my GC coilovers may make this difficult....

Any ideas?
Last edited by gbean on 02 Apr 2010 08:20, edited 1 time in total.
-Isaac Asimov
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

ES makes some. I'm sure you could punk some off a junkyard car (though the process to get to them doesn't seem worth it). I bet you could search around on Rock Auto for a bit until you come across some.

Many people run without 'em.