New member in SoCal

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
LateApex

New member in SoCal

Post by LateApex »

Hi guys, my name is Todd and I'm a new member here, but have been a 510 owner for quite some time. In fact, my current 510 project is the first car I ever owned. I bought my '70 2-door in 1991 with no engine/trans, for $200. I tried to get it running, but ended up buying a flared '72 2-door to drive to college. I ended up wrecking that car, and moved all the mechanicals over to my original car. Shortly after, I joined the Air Force, and left the car with my parents in AZ, where it sat and baked in the sun for about 12 years. I recently brought the car back to CA, and started working on it to get it driving again, but it needs a lot. All the rubber has turned to dust. The only good thing, is it's still fairly rust-free.
The car has a stock L16 with SSS SU's, stock struts shortened with 280zx inserts (coilovers weren't really an option when I did this mod), ST springs and sway bars, and 13x7 steelies.

Anyway, hopefully I can give back even 1% of what I've learned in the short time I've been lurking here.
Byron510

Re: New member in SoCal

Post by Byron510 »

Welcome to the realm.
Glad to have you here - and glad to see someone back in the saddle again.
I'm lovin' those steelies; 13X7 - they must be a widened rim? I have (Jason's now using) a set of Corvair rims that were the 'hot trick' in the 70's, but they are 13X5.5.
Cool project, start a thread of your own, keep us posted.
And welcome back to the 510 world.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

LateApex wrote: All the rubber has turned to dust. The only good thing, is it's still fairly rust-free.
Welcome Todd.

Rust-free is everything, rubber is nothing. Rubber can be replaced relatively cheaply, easily, and quickly, and it likely would need new rubber even if you'd been driving it since 1991.

I also dig the widened steelies. I'd love to run a set of widened steelies, but in 14". Main reason I haven't gone that route is that 510 hub caps won't fit the 14" stuff, and the whole reason for wide steelies is to keep it looking OE. A nice 195/60/14 on a steelie with a 510 cap...MmmmMm.

Do you have plans for the car beyond getting it running (not a small project in itself)?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The other steelies I've recently seen on the site looked lick Nascar style wheels - great for that Mad Max appeal!
Here they are from NCR's build thread...

Byron
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Byron, I'm looking at this:

But in 14".
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
LateApex

Post by LateApex »

okayfine wrote:Do you have plans for the car beyond getting it running (not a small project in itself)?
Thanks for the welcome, guys!

I don't really have the order worked out in which I want to do things, so for now, I want to straighten out the bodywork/rubber stuff, make it run (reliably), and make it mechanically sound.

Most recently, I've picked up a set of 280zx struts, and cut the perches off. It remains to be seen if the steelies will fit over the brakes. Might check that tonight. I'll probably end up with larger wheels.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

LateApex wrote:I don't really have the order worked out in which I want to do things, so for now, I want to straighten out the bodywork/rubber stuff, make it run (reliably), and make it mechanically sound.
Sounds like a good plan to me. Gotta get it running so you remember what it's like to drive a 510. Lots easier to do a bigger project with the car once you know the base is sorted out.
LateApex wrote:Most recently, I've picked up a set of 280zx struts, and cut the perches off. It remains to be seen if the steelies will fit over the brakes. Might check that tonight. I'll probably end up with larger wheels.
If you run into clearance problems (likely, honestly), and don't want to resort to spacers and longer lugs, you can swap on the Z31 four-lug hubs to get the spacing correct again. You will have to then make a caliper bracket to adapt to the wider-spaced rotors...

Or you could just go with bigger wheels :lol:
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I put Wilwood Dynalite calipers on my 280ZX struts and still (barely) got 13X7 Libra’s over them...

That part of the build starts here:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=530&start=510
…and goes on for a few pages.
I’ll bet the set up will work for you, even if you use the stock ZX caliper. The nice thing about steel wheels is that the cross section of the rim itself is really thin, so more clearance inside the wheel.

Byron
LateApex

Post by LateApex »

I'm hoping they will just clear and I won't have to mess with wheels for a while. Those steelies are zero offset, or at least, very close. I'm still trying to wade through all the wheel offset/size threads to determine what the best setup is for my situation. That's a task in itself.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

LateApex wrote:I'm still trying to wade through all the wheel offset/size threads to determine what the best setup is for my situation. That's a task in itself.
Backspacing is easier to deal with, since it stays constant over different widths - kinda out of vogue these days. Still, compare your rim measurements to a set of 13x7" Libres, which people have used over ZX stuff previously. Have you see this:

http://kmhafer.datsun510.com/wheelFAQ.htm
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer »

okayfine wrote:Byron, I'm looking at this:

But in 14".
haha, hey that's my car! It's always strange/ cool to have some else post a pic of your ride. It's like an out of body experience :D

yeah, I went the quasi-purist route. I had these steelies made at Stockton Wheel (http://www.stocktonwheel.com). They just cut out the centers of the stock wheel and welded it into a new 13x6" rim stock. I gave them the offset specs, had them tack 1 together, send it back to me, I mounted a tire, checked for fitment (I didn't want to roll the fender lips at the time), and then I had them fab up the other 3. Ok, full disclosure, it took me 2 tries to get the offset right...

the whole thing cost $595 (taxes and shipping incl.) probably due to my multiple offset attempts (also multiple shipping costs, etc). Powder coating added another $200. You can probably do it a bit cheaper if you get it right the first time.

I'm running stock brakes (drilled rotors on front), "green stuff" brake pads on all corners. It stops just fine on the street, and I didn't notice too much fade when I took it on the track.

I love the look of hubcaps, and strangely enough it's one of the most commented on/ admired things on my car.
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer »

LateApex wrote:I'm hoping they will just clear and I won't have to mess with wheels for a while. Those steelies are zero offset, or at least, very close. I'm still trying to wade through all the wheel offset/size threads to determine what the best setup is for my situation. That's a task in itself.
I can pull a tire and measure what backspacing I ended up with if you end up needing it.
LateApex

Post by LateApex »

Well, the zx struts aren't going to work with the steelies. They are a reverse wheel, so the drop center (which is normally on the outside of the wheel) is on the inside, and hits the caliper. And not just barely either.
VelvetHammer wrote: I can pull a tire and measure what backspacing I ended up with if you end up needing it.
Thanks, but I'm honestly not all that heartbroken that they don't fit.

I guess I should move all this talk over to a project thread.