hi im jsvteck

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
jsvteck

hi im jsvteck

Post by jsvteck »

hello everyone my name is james. i am currently looking to buy a datsun sometime soon. decided to look on forums and see what kind of things i can do to these types of cars before i get one. i no their are a bunch of things i can do but i thought i should research everything before i do something i might regret. i dont want to buy a car and not be able to finish it seeing that im just looking in to buying a shell the do some super modifications lol, but probably not so super compared to the things you guys have done or are doing. but thats why im here right to learn and pick up ideas from what you guys have done but if i taking on something to big i dont thing i wanna dont now you know there no point of wasting money on something u cant do. if i dont do it now ill most likely be back later lol :mrgreen:
okayfine
Supporter

Re: hi im jsvteck

Post by okayfine »

Hello James, welcome to The Realm. It's good that you want to research before jumping into a big project. However, if you're new to things mechanical and especially new to 510s, I'd suggest a different approach.

Buy a running, reliable DD L-series 510. Put your big modification plans on hold for a couple years (even if you want to start buying parts for your dream build, resist the temptation to start taking your car apart for a long-term build you may not ever finish). That way, you're still working on putting together (the parts for) your dream 510, but all the while you're able to drive your 510 and work out whatever bugs may crop up. Remember, this is a 40+ year old car, most all of them have issues, and there's little sense dropping in $4000/$8000 worth of spendy engine swap into a base car only worth $500.

If you haven't found these already, I'd give these articles some serious review:

What to look for when buying a 510:
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10023

Suggestions For New 510 Owners:
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12575

and lastly, How To Plan A Project:
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13589
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jsvteck

Post by jsvteck »

thanks for the info it is much help and yea i think im going to change my about the part of just getting a shell my real big decision is picking which i wanna do first a 510 or a 240z :lol: i myself is not really use to working with datsuns/ nissans but i have fixed a few and work on my dads 85 nissan king cab alot of times swapped the motor when i was 14 :lol:. use to working with hondas currently have a 79 civic wagon with a zc swap :mrgreen:. but i dont really like working in my comfort zone to much an i think im ready to step out of it and work on something more challenging :mrgreen:
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

You can do a lot of wild stuff with a Z with the added bonus of a significantly larger support network. There are still a couple companies that have catalogs full of Z parts. Nothing like that exists for 510s.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jsvteck

Post by jsvteck »

yea im really likein the 240z right now and think it would be pretty cool :mrgreen: