Florida newb!

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
d357r0y

Florida newb!

Post by d357r0y » 14 Jul 2014 11:42

Hi all!

I'm JoJo, I've been lurking here for a while while shopping for my 1st 510.

I'm happy to say that My shopping is over and I'm picking up a 69 coupe this weekend.

I'm going to have approximately 1,000,000 questions so be patient with me.

My background is mostly in Corvairs, Subarus and Hondas so this is a little bit of a change but not totally out of my realm.

That's the gist of it, I'll be posting and searching for parts soon. :D

okayfine
Supporter

Re: Florida newb!

Post by okayfine » 15 Jul 2014 06:42

Hello JoJo, welcome to The Realm. If you could put your location in your profile, that'll help us know where you are once you move beyond this thread.

More than a few FL and East Coast guys popping up recently. Any pictures of your potential purchase? Have you read through the Buyer's Guide?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

d357r0y

Post by d357r0y » 15 Jul 2014 07:15

okayfine, I updated my profile.

Us desperate guys on the other coast are having to travel thousands of miles to get a shell that's not 50%+ rust.

I have pictures but I'll wait to post until the car is physically in my possession. I feel like I'll jinx myself for the third time if I let the cat out if the bag.

I've probably already said too much!

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 15 Jul 2014 20:26

Top... JDM* Coupe. Note rear roof line.

Bottom... USDM 510 2 door

*Japanese Domestic Market in every sense of the word. Not the same as a ricer kid saying "It's JDM 'Yo."
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET » 16 Jul 2014 05:55

Welcome JoJo, from another East Coaster. Best of luck with the acquisition.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 16 Jul 2014 06:52

datzenmike wrote:*Japanese Domestic Market in every sense of the word. Not the same as a ricer kid saying "It's JDM 'Yo."
But, strangely, also South African Domestic Market, as in built there. Still no idea how or why.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

d357r0y

Post by d357r0y » 26 Jul 2014 13:39

Did you guys know that Las Vegas is surrounded by mountains?

I sure didn't!

I also didn't know that a Subaru wagon loaded with a SR20DET could pull a tow dolly loaded with a 510 up mountains and approximately 2000 miles home.

Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa » 26 Jul 2014 17:02

Well that's one less dime in Las Vegas.
Nice find.
I'm going to have to a little more attention to what's going on here!

BP
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles

Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 » 26 Jul 2014 17:59

WOW the lengths we go for Datsuns.

Epic drive dude.

If you build like with the same effort then I see a sweet 510 headed for our eyes to feast on.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.

d357r0y

Post by d357r0y » 26 Jul 2014 19:12

Insane people don't know that they are insane.

General plans are: sell the SR swap and the stock driveline, strip the body down to the steel and treat it to last another 45 years. Mod the tunnel, fab some mounts and slip an LSx/T56 right on in there.

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 26 Jul 2014 20:48

Oh nooooos, not another V8 swap attempt!
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 » 26 Jul 2014 21:18

Why a V8?
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.

d357r0y

Post by d357r0y » 27 Jul 2014 06:37

Why not? I've owned multiple Corvairs, Subarus, Hondas and a few forward control Toyota vans.

A stock ls will put out more than enough power, parts are readily available and it's something new to me.

I suppose I could stick this SR swap in there but it doesn't excite me at all.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 27 Jul 2014 07:56

Saabaru?

You're getting this reaction to your LS plans due to past experience. There's something like a 1:20 ratio for completed V8 510 swaps, with the remainder generally ending up cut up so badly (and poorly) that the cars never roll under their own power again. The 510 is a rare car these days as it is, taking a good'un and cutting it for a V8 swap that is unlikely to be finished is, well, frowned upon.

Of course, you're new here, we don't know what your skills are, and it's certainly possible that can pull off this swap. The best way to eliminate the doubters is to pull off the swap.

That said, an LS will put out more than enough power, as you say. This can present major issues in a 510. The 510 has a short wheelbase, a not-entirely-stiff unibody, and most serious, a basic suspension (especially the rear suspension) setup. In a 150HP car, no big deal. Double that and more, and you will have to rebuild/build up substantial portions of the car.

So, to sum up, we're not haters. There are reasons it's not the greatest idea, and we have experience with previous projects that give us great pause.

d357r0y

Post by d357r0y » 27 Jul 2014 13:59

Points taken and I'm not rushing into this. I plan on seam stitching the chassis and adding a few braces in the floors. I certainly don't want to install a driveline only to have the chassis twist in half.

When I first started contemplating a swap, the S2K driveline was on the top of my list but the more thought I put into it, I realized that whenever I had driven an s2000, the lack of any bottom end was just a letdown. This SR swap even seemed interesting for a few minutes but I'd rather not deal with a turbo in it at this time (that and I'm building a turbo engine for my Subaru daily driver).

I contemplated a Subaru driveline in there (converted to RWD of course) but I really just don't see enough room for the wide EJ series engines between the frame rails.

Maybe you guys will change my mind but for right now, my goal is to blast the body down and make it impervious to rust. I've got a LOT of time before I really get into powertrains (I told my wife - who's helping me on the restoration of the body - that this would be approximately a 5 year build).

Does anyone have info on completed and failed v8 swaps? The more information I have, the greater the chance for success and keeping this from being a butchered shell. :)