WHITEBIRD's new caretaker

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
BrianMR

WHITEBIRD's new caretaker

Post by BrianMR »

Hello

This is a long time coming as I purchase this lovely piece of J-Tin from Julian some time ago. I often take work trips and wanted to have quality pictures ready for my introduction. Time ticked on and it never seemed like I would get around to it until now. My name is Brian and I am the new owner of the amazingly built Whitebird. Julian really put alot of love and care into this car and it shows and drives as such. Also I can't say enough good things about the guy as he has been so helpfully even after the purchase and has made the transition of ownership quite enjoyable. I drive this car almost everyday to work as I currently am stationed in NorCal and live on base. Its a dream car of mine that I never thought I would own at this stage on my life. I smile every time I open the garage. A bit about myself...

Family: Married with a toddler
Own(ed) Cars: 1991 Honda CRX, TURBO Honda Fit, Merck 190e 2.3-16v, Datsun 510, 1988 Honda CRX (still own though in long term storage), 1970 BMW 2002
Hobbies: driving classic cars, photography, auto journalism, fitness

I had the opportunity a couple of weeks ago to take a awesome day of driving to the coast after another work trip. I took pictures and planned on doing a small write up to post as my introduction so you guys can get a feel of me as the new caretaker. Well it grew in length and scope which lead me to offer the story to the wonder team at Petrolicous. To my humbled surprise they accepted and agreed to run the story on their website. Here is the link guys! Please let me know what you think as I am blown away!

http://www.petrolicious.com/flying-alon ... -whitebird

Some pics

okayfine
Supporter

Re: WHITEBIRD's new caretaker

Post by okayfine »

Hello Brian, welcome to The Realm, official-like. Feel free to put your location in your profile, and also feel free to take over the Whitebird thread so you can keep us up to date on where the car goes under your ownership. Great to see you here, great to see the car out doing what it was meant to do. Even more interesting to see Whitebird in places I've been (Point Reyes) but had never taken it. That straight-beach shot above on the way to the lighthouse brings back memories.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Stopped in this morning to post your link as I just found it on my quick pass through a few favorite sites, petrolicious being one of them. Great story, and welcome to the Realm!
Brad
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Howdy Brian,

Man, it is obvious you love that car. Excellent writing, your story really paints a picture. I had just, last week, driven down from Jenner all the way to the Golden Gate, so I could really relate to your journey. Great photos by the way.

Yeah, we watched Julian put that machine together, and I for one am very glad to see it going to an appreciative home. Julian did a great job of building and recording the project, and I am glad it is archived here.

Looking forward to further adventures.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Glenn.Mulligan

Post by Glenn.Mulligan »

Good Morning All. Just wanted to send a quick note out there that the Whitebird has a new home in Georgia, just outside of Atlanta. I purchased the vehicle back in May 2020 and immediately fell in love with the car and the experience. Starting in October I made the car my daily driver. When looking to buy the car, a quick Google search of "Whitebird" led me to the many write ups out there, including the Whitebird thread on The510Realm. What a helpful forum to help me dissect everything about the car. For those jobs that I haven't been able to do on my own, the extensive write up was able to give them great insight. The documented history was a big benefit definitely helped in my feeling comfortable to buy it. Since my purchase, the wheels had been refinished and minor repairs completed. The fuel tank was removed, system cleaned out, refinished the cell and reinstalled since some of the mounting tab welds had broken. A Moroso cooling system expansion tank and associated hoses have been added. The car gets a lot more attention than I was expecting!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Glenn, welcome to the site.
Many of us miss Julian's input, and his years with Whitebird and other projects did fill many a page here in the Realm.

Welcome to the Realm, and glad to have you here.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Doraemon
Supporter

Post by Doraemon »

That's a damn nice car you have there Brian! Also B/W pictures are really nice! Welcome!