Hello from So Cal

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
regnak

Hello from So Cal

Post by regnak »

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum and Datsun's but huge car fan overall. I'm a mechanical engineer (engine development) so while I'm familiar with a wrench, tend to over think projects a bit too much but hey, what can ya do? ;-)

Currently in search of a 2- or 4-door 510 to be my next project and toy. The dream would be an SR20DET swap, apologies to the carb purists but I *do* develop engines for a living so fuel injection is my bread and butter. That being said, I'm not adverse to picking a vehicle with an L16/20 in there to learn the chassis before biting off a bit more than I can chew.

Best,

Miguel
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Hello from So Cal

Post by okayfine »

Hello Miguel, welcome to The Realm. If you could put your location in your profile, that'll help us know where you are once you post up in other threads.

For your search, you might want to read this to get up to speed on 510s:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26137

Once through that, you'll have a better idea of what sort of car you're looking for. Really at this point, you're going to want the most complete runner you can find. It's the small parts that can be very expensive. No matter what your engine plans (wouldn't you rather put EFI onto an L-series? I'd think that'd be more up your alley than using what nature/NIssan provided with the SR), looking for a car with ZX front brakes is worthwhile since the stock stuff, while fine for L-series power, are about impossible to source parts for.

In any case, you'll want to post up in the Classified sub so that you get the most eyeballs on your WTB ad. The better your description of what you're looking for, the better the returns will be.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
regnak

Re: Hello from So Cal

Post by regnak »

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've definitely poured over the buyers guide, probably read it 5 times in the past month or two, an excellent resource.

Definitely agree that I'm looking for a runner, I've (sadly) walked away from a couple vehicles that would've put me in a touch over my head with rust. Oh well, they will turn into some great projects for others I hope. Will post in the WTB section shortly. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

As for going EFI with an L-series, it's a consideration but I probably would never be happy with the results. Id want to plant the engine on an engine dyno and get that near perfect fueling and spark maps done... just can't do that on the road. One of the nice things about an SR20, solid base, solid aftermarket support, and then it's just tweaking/tuning then actually calibrating and starting from ground zero. I guess long winded way of saying I have Massive respect to those that can pull off the EFI conversion as it's not an easy thing to do well ;-)