New member in Berkeley, 69 wagon

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
ericarm

New member in Berkeley, 69 wagon

Post by ericarm »

Hello All -

Just bought a 69 wagon from a young enthusiast in northern CA. He put a lot of heart & soul into her -- as will I, picking up where he left off (http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34168 ... BD/page-44). I bet some of you will recognize the car.

Up until now, I haven't been a 510 owner, but a 71 510 4-door manual was my ex-wife's ride when I first met her (and she let me drive it). Her mom had a 72 2 door automatic, salvage title and all bashed in in the back (with a most incongruous bumper sticker on it ("Motocross: World's toughest sport") given that she's the prototypical sweet little old Jewish grandma). I felt like I had been adopted by a 510 family. There is some bona fide Datsun ownership in my past...I restored a 66 roadster in the '90s and still have it today.

Well, like I said, she is the ex now and no longer part of the car buying decision making process, and I'm looking forward to restoring this wagon with my boys. The PO did several of the things I had envisioned doing -- a Ka24de swap, 5-speed, big brake upgrade, discs in the back, coilovers front and rear, bigger exhaust... and it has very little in the way of rust problems.

But there is still a lot of work to do. Some rear end and suspension fixes, bodywork, flares, and interior/exterior paint, new wheels, gauges and some wiring debugging, sound deadening, carpet, seats, safety equipment, a hand brake, and all new rubber are In its future.

I'm looking forward to participating in the community and learning from all the accumulated knowledge here! I've got my body and chassis service manual in hand and am looking for good resources re: the KA. (Recommendations for good reading on this subject are most welcome).

Cheers, Eric
Eric
'69 Wagon, '66 Roadster
Berkeley, CA
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Re: New member in Berkeley, 69 wagon

Post by DonnieDatsun »

Killer wagon, post a build thread, it'd be cool to follow your progress.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: New member in Berkeley, 69 wagon

Post by okayfine »

Hello Eric, welcome to The Realm. If you could put your location in your profile, that'll help us know where you are once you move beyond this thread.

Feel free to post up pictures of your new 510! And any vintage pics of your family 510s.

Lots of 510 information here, including this link for you:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12575

And within that are links to The 510 Archives, 3.8GB of Datsun 510 information.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson