First posting - Questions as well

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
oppy

First posting - Questions as well

Post by oppy »

Hey guys,

I'm looking to start a project with my boys. I want to get my hands on a early 70s 510, preferably a 2 or 4 door sedan. Something we can build into a nice looking car that we can show off in the summer. The 510 is a nice smaller car that I hope will be easy to work on.

I live in Vancouver, BC, show getting a car with minimal rust in the area might be a bit of a challenge. So, I think that I'll be looking in the sun belt of the US for a starter. Something that doesn't need a ton of body work.

Not sure that we'll go for a stock 510 finish. I'd prefer to make it a little peppier. I've heard that some people are putting in 240 engines. Maybe a better suspension, some chrome and a nice paint job.

I need to expand me tool inventory and make it a successful build. I've got a couple of questions:

What do you think I should do make this a cool car the kids and I will enjoy?
What type of tools do I need?
Is the 510 a metric or SAE build?

I look forward to see what people have to say.

Oppy and the kids
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: First posting - Questions as well

Post by bertvorgon »

By it's very nature...the 510 is "cool" no matter what it's build type.

If you peruse this website you will see all the permutations of builds and quality.

TOOLS.....everything......that being said a metric set, the usual tools required by most automotive applications. Remember first rule of repair......"Don't force it...!"

510's were metric by origin, a lot of fasteners got changed over the years by owners to SAE. The fundamental nuts and bolts are metric.

So much will depend on what you buy to start, my advice would be to spend the coin and get a finished and running car, should one crop up. Parts are hard to find, expensive, rust repair is a nightmare and costly..and rust is always there.

Again do some reading on here, read the suspension thread so have a sense of handling. A KA is pretty nice engine swap.

Bottom line though...find a good running car!!!!!!!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
oppy

Post by oppy »

Bertvorgon, thanks for the advice.

How much should I expect to spend to get a finished running car? And by finished do you mean finished body? Does it defeat the purposes of getting a hobby car to get one already finished or are there enough projects on a running car to keep us busy?

I'm not into spending a lot of time on body work. I'm really in it for the mechanics.

Sorry, what's an KA?

Thanks again.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

A KA is the engine out of a later 240 ( fuel injected), can make a nice torquey 160 Hp with and exhaust...2.4 litres.

Like anything, it depends on how much of a "hobby" do you really want. Keeping these older car working, even when "sorted" is a constant job.

Body work sucks, there is only one way to do it..and that is RIGHT...which is TIME and money. I would look at the aspects that part of the 510 hobby is to drive the damn thing, with our great group of comrades, car shows, etc. That will put enough challenge's into things to keep it running well. Again, just depends on how good a car you start with.

Price..well...again that depends on how good a starter comes up and what it's pedigree might be.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Welcome to the realm. I started out with a good $5000 car 4 years ago that needed a bunch of mechanical TLC but had a good body and did run and drive. As MR. Vorgon says body work sucks. If you can find one with a good body the mechanical stuff is relatively easy. It all comes down to what you want it to do and how much cash you want to throw at it. I freshened up 1.6L with a weber can be a lot of fun and wont cost a lot. You can throw in a 2L without spending a fortune also and have it be a direct replacement. A KA with require a bunch of fab work but don't cost too much either.
If you need body work done on the car you find and don't want to do it yourself there is a member on here who has a shop in Maple Ridge who does great work. Big Time Motors.
If you have questions of what to do to change/improve the handling I would describe in detail what you want the car to do and ask for suggestions. It will save you money and time having some of us point you in the right direction. There is nothing like buying parts, putting them on and not liking the way your car handles afterwards. Getting the car set up by a proper shop that works with our cars is well worth the money also. You get to put everything in and then you can get an alignment that will transform your car.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
oppy

Post by oppy »

$5000 doesn't sound like too much of an investment. I can handle that. Where should I be looking?

I'll definitely take advantage of people's knowledge and experience from this site. What I've heard is pretty clear. Get something that doesn't need bodywork, body work sucks (and I agree). But could drawing some of that experience from the site include having someone help me pick my first car? I don't mind paying for that experience if it saves me from purchasing a crappy starter car.

Is there someone on the site that offers this type of service? Preferably someone with a ton of 510 knowledge.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

KA or SR swap it for sure! There's so much info out there for it. I started as a know nothing 16 year old and built a pretty functional car (with pops) that has 30,000+ km.

Jordan's KA Build
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
oppy

Post by oppy »

Holy crap Jordan!!

If I do 1/100th of what you did, I'll be happy. You put a ton of work into that car. Did you get help from family?

I don't have a ton of mechanical experience and don't have someone to draw knowledge from (except this site of course) but I'm quick study. I hope that I'm not getting in over my head.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

oppy wrote: body work sucks (and I agree).
what body work is fun! the first clean, tear down , boxing bagging and catalog then really digging in to see how far the rust goes. the hours of bonding over the scrapping of under coat. metal fab, shrinking, stretching welding, grinding making a dolly/rotisserie , getting a trailer, taking the shell out for blasting or dip. ah then comes paint but first cleaning then epoxy primer(sanding/cleaning) then a sanding primer,(sanding/cleaning) filler (sanding/cleaning)primer (sanding/cleaning) filler (sanding/cleaning) primer (sanding/cleaning) tape, paint....... :? maybe its not that fun.
oppy wrote:Where should I be looking?
if you don't want to do floors rockers or 1/4s look in Oregon, Nevada, California, Arizona, or Texas. now that doesn't mean you wont find rusty cars in those states but chances of finding a rust free car in the salt belt is slim. BC is still hiding some gems check out mattyhacks tan 510, very clean and he got a great deal. there was a stock green one on epay out of kelowna 16,000 miles reserve was up around $20,000. a well written wtb add pasted around the internet could acquire surprising results. unlike my wtb add...readers probably think: "haven't you had your share" or "im not contributing to his addiction...he will probably flip it".

daily check the usual suspects: Ebay, Craigslist, kijijji, bring a trailer, ratsun, datsunclassifieds.com , fancy search engines like all of Craigslist, tempest.

happy hunting
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Let keep it simple, let us help you in person - drop by our Christmas party this Saturday in Surrey. You'll have pleanty of minds to pick, and ideas thrown around.

Starts at 5:10, hope you can make it. See Christmas party thread and let Aron know you - and maybe your family member - are coming.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=29334

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

oppy wrote:Holy crap Jordan!!

If I do 1/100th of what you did, I'll be happy. You put a ton of work into that car. Did you get help from family?

I don't have a ton of mechanical experience and don't have someone to draw knowledge from (except this site of course) but I'm quick study. I hope that I'm not getting in over my head.
Haha.. thanks.

My dad has helped a bunch and he has a pretty functional collection of tools. Needless to say, I've learned a lot.

It's worth every penny buying a car that doesn't need much bodywork. There's nothing more demotivating than rust repairs.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)