Trying to Create a Datsun 510 Art Print and Need Some Advice

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
johnny_261

Trying to Create a Datsun 510 Art Print and Need Some Advice

Post by johnny_261 »

Hi Everyone,

I have a small Etsy shop called ModernCarArt where I do custom prints of different cars that I like.

I've been wanting to do a 510 and had a few requests actually from customers but didn't know enough about them to draw one.

I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction as to what years or models are the most popular/desired by enthusiasts.

Cheers.
Byron510

Re: Trying to Create a Datsun 510 Art Print and Need Some Advice

Post by Byron510 »

John,

That's a pretty cool project and for the right one you'd no doubt find a few buyers here.

The 2 dr car is the iconic one. But fro the racers, a bubble flared BRE or Bob Sharpe type car is just as Iconic. In the 90's the wagon sawe a resurgence that nearly matched that of the 2 dr cars, which was inspiring. But all of the cars are not common any more. However today there are more of the Japanese market Coupes in North America than even, but really, still just a hand full.

I'll bet you find what you need here - just ask.

Welcome to the 510Realm.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Hey Johnny,

If I were to point you towards the most "iconic" 510 model in the US consciousness it would be the 70-73 2 door sedan. Anything specific like flares or a particular race car would likely limit your audience rather than grow it.

Go with the Bob Sharp car and you alienate the BRE fans.

I would stick to a more stock body and graphic, but lower it with aftermarket rims. Personally I'm a fan of the 3/4 rear view of the 510, but I'd be the first to say a low 3/4 front view is the safest bet. Something like this.

Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Some of the ones that come to my mind. I like the side profile. I also love the JDM coupes (different roofline than USDM 510).

USDM 510 2 dr.

JDM Coupe.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
johnny_261

Post by johnny_261 »

Really appreciate the advice here guys! I'll report back when I come up with something.

So far it sounds like the 70-73 2 door sedan might be a good place to start.

Most of my designs are a directly head on view, but I do some side profiles as well.