Gear reduction starter

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
michael171

Gear reduction starter

Post by michael171 »

I am looking for a gear reduction starter for 1.8L motor.
text me at 847-417-9706
thanks
toylet
Supporter

Re: Gear reduction starter

Post by toylet »

rockauto has them
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Colder climate countries tended to have them as standard issue. All 720s I have parted out have them. Please don't try the Z series GR starter on an L series engine... they do fit, but the solenoid does not properly clear the dip stick tube. You can make them work by bending the tube but then you need a flexible dip stick from another newer vehicle to go round the bend. I've done this by shortening the dip stick and riveting the end from a chevy (or something) with the 'full' mark in the correct place.

The 280zx and the Maxima (both L series engines also) had GR starters, at least in Canada they did. I have an '84 Maxima starter on my L20B. The inline six starters are longer, so snugger fit behind the engine mount. Built to turn a six cylinder, it turns an L2BN with authority!

No one has ever said, but the starter from a KA powered Hardbody should fit. It uses the same style flywheel and transmission as the 720, but still may not clear the L series dip stick. The S13/14 KA starter will definitely NOT work.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Stoney

Post by Stoney »

I've read a few times but cannot personally confirm that the starter motor from a skyline RB25 motor will fit. I will be sourcing one soon though, rather than rebuilding my old one.
toylet
Supporter

Post by toylet »

I had a gear reduction starter on my LZ2.2 took it off because the only draw back is that it turns real slow. Sounds like you have a weak battery every time you start it. Autozone and orilies auto parts has phased out all the G/R starters with new updated starter for the 280zx n/a and turbo that is no longer a gear reduction but still works as good.I installed it and am happy with it.