510 far away

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
raya3581

510 far away

Post by raya3581 »

a friend of mine was telling me I can have his 510 for free I just have to go get it ? where is it I ask he said it has no rust its sitting in a garage up in the Yukon he left it there years ago when he worked up there that's a long way to go get a 510 do you think it is worth the drive?
Taented

Re: 510 far away

Post by Taented »

I'll go get it if you wont
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

WHERE in the Yukon.....Whitehorse..Dawson City...Carmacks...? I have many contacts there and depending where it is, might be able to go and take some pictures. That is a 2.5 to 3 day drive ( and it is winter BIG time right now) so it would be good to have some details, it well may need trailering back to wherever you are.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Having worked in the arctic, spring break up is the worst time to travel the roads, and we are approaching that soon. It's likely all frozen as heck right now, but the days getting longer now with nearly. 12 daylight. By June it's nearly 24 hours daylight, things dry out quick - and the bugs go crazy! But after this is a good time for a drive to the Yukon.
Sounds like a great trip, keep us posted if you do it. But an alternative is to just have it trucked down as it may be less of a headache. The road north of Fort Nelson turns to gravel, that's as far as I've driven personally. Any further north and I've just taken a plane and rented cars locally.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Just for giggles, here is Dawson City this morning, -22C. It has been a very cold winter in the Yukon this past season. Usually the ice goes out of the river by the May long weekend, we will see what happens this year. I am expecting a late start to the mining season this summer.
Attachments
Dawson cam.jpg
Dawson cam.jpg (45.37 KiB) Viewed 2981 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Fly in, do minimum repairs, and fix the rest on the way home - ROADKILL stylezzz.

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
raya3581

Post by raya3581 »

when my friend left it up there 20+ years ago in a garage he flew out when he left im going to get more details I have heard cars don't rust much up there is that true? if so I will have to go get it
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Most areas of the north receive very little rain in the summer months, and since it's so far below zero in the winter, it's dry as heck. It's true that with this cycle, half the year rust isn't possible, but everything plastic on rubber takes a beating so it's a bit relative. Extreme cold has its effects on things as well.

Any way you can at l say get photos of the car before making a further decision? If it's been left outside, anything is possible in 20 years.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Actually, for the past few summers in the Dawson/Whitehorse area, it has been relatively very wet, much to the chagrin of my mining customers.

A lot will depend on what type of garage it was left in, you have not said yet WHERE in the Yukon it is.

Mice love getting into things left up there so hopefully that is not an issue.

Does he still have the registration is a question to ask also.

Keith Law