San Diego Datsun 510

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
jdmclassicimports

San Diego Datsun 510

Post by jdmclassicimports »

What's up Datsun Community!
I have always been a Datsun fan and I'm glad to finally join this group. Looking forward to being a member and connecting with some San Diego Locals.

Byron510

Re: San Diego Datsun 510

Post by Byron510 »

You have what appears to be a Mexican built 510 with the J15 engine, which is cool in itself. I assume it has a straight rear axle on leaf springs as well? How does the interior look? Did you get the model with the SSS style tail lights? The later Mexican produced cars got these larger lights standard. It'll be a unique car no matter what.

Welcome to the site, look forward to seeing more posts.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
jdmclassicimports

Hi Bryon!

Yes it is a Mexican Built 510. But it does not has the SSS style tail lights unfortunately. I'm glad to be a member of the Datsun club.

Cheers~

Ezra
jdmclassicimports

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That is really cool you have the paperwork, I like that it shows the 1967 Plymouth Belvedere as trade.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

That's great, awesome that you have the paperwork.
You car does have the SSS sedan tail lights. The Coupe lights are unique to the coupes with the sequential lights that go across the whole rear panel, but the 4 door SSS sedans got these tail lights in Japan and other markets like Mexico. I am going to assume that the original lenses have been replaced, as the originals had chrome inserts around the square sections on either side of the reverse light.
Picture019.jpg
Picture019.jpg (56.23 KiB) Viewed 3236 times
I have bought a couple sets of these when I have been in Mexico as they were made by aftermarket companies. I have not found a supplier for new chrome surrounds yet, but it would be nice to find them. I'd love to make some, but I'll be honest - that's on the never,never list!

So, whats you plan for the car?

Great to have you on board the 510Realm. Look forward to seeing more.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
jdmclassicimports

Oh thanks for pointing that out for me! I didn't know that I had the SSS tail lights.

I guess they were replaced. I might be able to find some tail lights with the chrome surroundings from the previous owner.

I'll be very honest. I have always wanted a Datsun, however I now realize that I want a coupe. So i'm debating to sell or trade for a 2 door. It's a tough decision.
James

Post by James »

In 510's there is a difference between a 2 door and a coupe. The four door has a lot more functionality if you ever want to haul anyone.
Finished is better than perfect......