Somewhat new dime owner

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
ca18det_boy

Somewhat new dime owner

Post by ca18det_boy »

Hey there guys and gals. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been in love with dimes for over 15 years, but up until recently I've never found "the one". It just so happens I had stumbled across a star crossed tale, and I figured I'd help out the previous owner and start my saga with it. Just wanted to say hello here first!
Byron510

Re: Somewhat new dime owner

Post by Byron510 »

Wet our appetite, so what do you have :-)

Photos are always most welcome.

Glad to have you here.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
ca18det_boy

Post by ca18det_boy »

Image Image ImageI was able to scoop up a 71 sedan at a bargain price. Body is pretty clean with minimal surface rust. However...it came as a rolling chassis with all the interior, trim, and everything else in boxes. So it's a big puzzle that I'm sorting through. The chassis harness was missing so I've been fighting with making a chassis wiring harness. I don't see it as a failure yet, just 4 different ways that it won't work. For the powerplant I welded up my own trans x member and modified the front x member to fit a KA. They don't look pretty, but they work. So right now I'm piecing together some of the interior bits that I know I'm missing and this weekend I'm going to try and put power to the ECU and see if I can get it to fire up. Thankfully I have the support of Greg over at the Datsun ranch, so he's always there to motivate me.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Looks like a great project.

Glad to hear that boxes of parts came with the car, it's getting hard to source "stuff" these days. Also glad to hear that you are well under way on putting it back together. the KA is a great motor, but even these ()like any SR motor as well) are simply getting old now. I've always wondered what the "next" Nissan motor to use will be.

Start a new project thread for yourself and the project, and I'm sure many of us can also help and add inspiration.
Also someone out there might have you harness for you from a parted car. It's worth asking, there are a lot of us active on this forum.

Look forward to your project thread and updates - Welcome to the Realm.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
ca18det_boy

Post by ca18det_boy »

I had my share of options on the motor. I really wanted to stick my spare rb25 in it, but no matter how hard I thought about it...it didn't work. Then there was a spare 1UZ in the shop with a W58 trans. So we stuffed that in, and surprisingly it fit VERY well. The drivers side manifold wouldn't clear the steering box though :(. So I was on to look at the VQ37HR, it would fit and it made power. However I didn't want to deal with the BCM and all the other things that went along with it. So I figured the good ol KA is tried and true. I've had my fill with SR's so I thought I'd give this guy a shot.