Nissan/Datsun FS5W60A Transmission

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
Sprite

Nissan/Datsun FS5W60A Transmission

Post by Sprite »

I have this transmission, "FS5W60A" installed in my 1960 Austin Healey Sprite. The car came this way. The tranny is probably from a 1979 to 1982 Datsun 210. The "Shift Inserts" self destructed and the various synchro rings are worn. I was able to get pieces from various USA sources. One problem remains, the fourth gear synchro is not the standard size that came with the "Synchro Kit". As per the parts in the kit, and all info I have been able to glean from the downloaded manual for the FS5W60A tranny they should all be the same size. Do I have a "Frankenstein" on my hands?

If anybody has experience with this tranny, what info do you need to suggest a remedy? After that I am sure I will have more questions, ha, ha. Thanks in advance for your interest and suggestions.
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Nissan/Datsun FS5W60A Transmission

Post by datzenmike »

There were two 60 series 5 speeds the FS5W60L and the FS5W60A. The L was a dogleg pattern and only available from August through November of the '80 model year. The A was a regular shift pattern used from December on....

32604-H9700 is the A baulk or synchro ring number for all 5.

The SW5W60L are all the same too but a different number
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs