Soon to be new 510 owner

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
Saleach

Soon to be new 510 owner

Post by Saleach »

Hey everyone!

I won the bid for a nice project 510 on BaT today and am going to be flying to LA next week to finalize the deal.

Any recommendations for checking out the car?

Also, I will have a nice set of SSR MK3s for sale locally in LA if anyone is interested and looking for a set!
Canadian510

Re: Soon to be new 510 owner

Post by Canadian510 »

Saleach wrote:Hey everyone!

I won the bid for a nice project 510 on BaT today and am going to be flying to LA next week to finalize the deal.

Any recommendations for checking out the car?

Also, I will have a nice set of SSR MK3s for sale locally in LA if anyone is interested and looking for a set!
Some nasty rust spots I check are:

Front quarters behind the wheels, a drain dumps water in there and it just sits.

Tail light pan, around all the chrome peices, lights, and where the floor of the trunk meets it. Mine had a nasty hole there where water ran into the trunk from a bad trunk seal and eventually ate it's way through.

Front frame rails in the engine bay. Some rot out on the sides facing into the bay, check around the steering box too.

Everything else is pretty much your normal spots, hope it checks out good for you!
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Also under the ventilator ducting/cover in the back of the engine compartment top of firewall, hard to see inside but sometimes there.

Rocker panel/ door sill also
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Saleach

Post by Saleach »

Thanks a bunch for the tips!

I asked the buyer to send some photos of the undercarriage and there is some rust but it doesn't appear to be a huge amount. Here are those photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHskuDUsP3

Also, here is a link to the listing. Any additional feedback or comments are appreciated! Super excited.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-datsun-510-23/
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Saleach wrote:Thanks a bunch for the tips!

I asked the buyer to send some photos of the undercarriage and there is some rust but it doesn't appear to be a huge amount. Here are those photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHskuDUsP3

Also, here is a link to the listing. Any additional feedback or comments are appreciated! Super excited.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-datsun-510-23/
Underside doesn't look all that bad to me! and i guess you know the floors are good with the lack of carpet haha. Looks like a nice buy, throw some serious wheels under that widebody and it'll look amazing 8)
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Looks good. Diff looks like it might be an R180 (did I miss that in the post?) If so, it could be anything from a 3.36 to 4.62....

For the price, it's a good runner and a good base. I'd say you did well.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Saleach

Post by Saleach »

Thanks!

I am currently looking for wheels that will fill out the widebody but I am currently turning up empty handed.

I got the car on the car hauler and should be delivered this week. Does anyone know of a bolt-in exhaust for the N/A SR20?

Thanks!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Nice car!

One comment on those shoulder belts, they are not mounted correctly and could break your collar bones in the event of a crash. There needs to be a bar welded behind the seat and just above your shoulders, that the shoulder belts would mount to, OR, at least go over, then down to the floor.

I will post up a picture tonight of the bar across my roll bar.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

That is pretty nice looking. It does look like at least one of the bolts holding the diff in are loose. You'd want to get those tight as soon as possible.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Saleach

Post by Saleach »

Thanks a ton for all the replys! All feedback is greatly appreciated.

Regarding the harness, totally agree. The rollbar currently in the car is going to be replaced with a proper rollbar and cross brace for the shoulders.

Huge shoutout on the diff bolt, I am going to jack it up asap and take a long hard look at everything. Specifically, I am noticing a ton of steering slop and a lot of vibration under breaking at highway speeds.

I am searching for good how-tos, this forum and ratsun appear to be a wealth of knowledge.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Does your steering wheel "SHIMMY" back and forth in your hands under braking? Almost violently!?

If so....read my post....

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... nt#p179694
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
Saleach

Post by Saleach »

Awesome tip, I will definitely give it a try. It does shake under braking but so does the brake pedal and the rest of the car.

Also, the steering slop is there even when still and the car is off. There is about 3-4" of back and forth before any feedback from the steering rack.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I would then suggest you carefully adjust the box, then at the the same time...make sure the wheel bearings are not loose, as that can create a shimmy also.

Then, at the same time, make sure the rotors have no funny spots on them and check the run-out of you can. It is possible that the brake pads were never bedded properly and rotors have some bad spots on then. If no run-out try sanding the rotors really well with a course sand paper. Find a flat surface and put a piece of sand paper on that and give the pad a bit of a "re-surfacing".

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I had a violent shake in the steering wheel under braking when my A050's were new. I adjusted the steering box and it made no difference. They had a massive amount of grip and extremely hard sidewall. The rubber bushing in my idler arm was toasted and I had a bad wheel bearing. Together with the grip of the tires and just a small bump would cause a scary shake of the wheel.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?