New member in Alberta

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
Beegle17

New member in Alberta

Post by Beegle17 »

*** posted this in the Ratsun.net forum as well so some of you ay have seen this already ***

Hello folks! New user here and I love what I have found on the site so far.

I am ready to purchase my first 510 and start a rebuild project so I have been doing a lot of research and collecting information. I love all the stuff you can find on the net and forums like this are a great tool.

Now the biggest hurdle we all have is finding a good car to start the project with. Up in Canada our options are even more limited.
I do have 1 car locally available to me (more on this in a bit) but my question is: Where is a good place to search for cars...I am having trouble finding much for sale right now.
Even looking on ebay isn't turning up much for sale!

The car I have locally is a 72 2 door. Complete car and he says it runs. Don't really care as I will be doing a swap or rebuild anyway. He has a good selection of additional parts like brand new front fenders, a few extra body panels, a bunch of new rubber items, front end components etc. There is some rust in the unibody but nothing too major. I checked the usual bad areas and there is nothing that would stop me from taking this on.
Asking price is $4900 CAD recently reduced from $6500. No idea if that is good or not as I have found nothing to compare it to.

So, I am not asking for any detailed analysis of this car as you all have limited info to go on...but what might be your simple opinion on this? Or, where can I find a decent donor car to start with? Buying from the US and/or travelling is no problem if I find a good one.

All I really care about is the body/unibody as I can buy most everything else easily aftermarket as I am not doing a "restoration" and I won't need many of those rare hard to find parts. My plan is to build a "streetable" track car that I can take out and do some fun races with but can drive to shows and events locally. It will not be a long haul or daily driver.

Love the forum and I look forward to reading more!
Byron510

Re: New member in Alberta

Post by Byron510 »

Welcome.

I saw the Kijiji ad in Sask if that's the same car.
It's on it's second set of floors and due again. Trunk floor is done, and it looks like the rockers have been done at least once. And it looks like it's had fairly good drivers side damage if the panels have been replaced as pictured.

Not to be critical, but that said - it is complete - ish!

510's are getting hard to find, but you'll need to do a lot of metal work on this one to make it good - better work than has already been done.

You could likely find better. You'd be ahead buying a non rusted car from further south for 6-8k US in time alone, then work on your engine swap. Or get this for much less and go crazy! How much time do you have, how much equipment do you have, what are your skills and what's your budget? This one need some serious work.

Keep your eyes peeled, they are out there.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Beegle17

Post by Beegle17 »

Thanks for the info and opinion Byron. Much appreciated!

I do agree this one needs a lot of work. I would have to get it for a lot less than asking price to make it worthwhile I know.
Trouble is I am having a hard time finding them!

I'm not fully set on a final budget as of yet. I am exploring options.
I have lots of time and equipment. I have rudimentary skills in metal and body work so that will be sourced out. The rest I can handle no problem.

If you have any leads on available cars and/or sites I can keep my eyes on that would be a big help. The ones I have found don't have a lot to offer other than completely done cars.

Travel and shipping to get the "right" car is not an issue and I expect to have to do this. I was just hoping the local car was a little better than it is.

Thanks again!
Beegle17

Post by Beegle17 »

Trying to send a Private Message.....it is stuck in the "outbox" not going anywhere. What am I doing wrong???
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Your doing nothing wrong...it will sit there until the recipient opens it.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Beegle17

Post by Beegle17 »

Got ya. Thanks a bunch!.
I checked out the Specialty Engineering website. Great to find another local Canadian product provider!
iceD

Post by iceD »

A "completely done" car might be a good buy, and then make it your own.

ice D
iceD

Post by iceD »

If you're not on BAT you should be. Some projects come up there

ice D