New 2d 510 Owner in Los Angeles

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
Post Reply
ddquach
Posts: 5
Joined: 06 May 2018 14:20
Location: West Covina, CA

New 2d 510 Owner in Los Angeles

Post by ddquach » 06 May 2018 14:40

Hey guys,

New 510 owner here in Los Angeles,CA. Got the car about a month ago from the wife as a anniversary gift. Always love old school Japanese. Now I have one to play with. Going to do a modern restoration on this baby. It looks like the car was originally white and now painted red. Car got front coils already but looks like it didn't have a lot of TLC from the previous owner. Tire are pretty gone. Master Clutch looks like it been leaking and brakes fluid doesn't look like it been flush in forever. Wife told me the previous owner daily drove this. Looking by the amount of cobwebs this car had it was park most of the time. Now for the parts hunt. Other than T3 and Futofab is there any where else I can get parts for this thing. Thanks in advice.
Attachments
IMG_6922.JPG
IMG_6922.JPG (163.86 KiB) Viewed 343 times
Doug

'11 S550 / '06 E350 / '71 Datsun 510

Past Cars
'06 Supercharged IS350 / '96 Celica

User avatar
two_68_510s
Supporter
Posts: 3757
Joined: 18 Apr 2010 11:20
Location: Ben Lomond California
Contact:

Re: New 2d 510 Owner in Los Angeles

Post by two_68_510s » 06 May 2018 17:12

Welcome,

Datsport in Australia, Baz and tRacy will take care of you.

http://www.datsport.com/

Looks like a good 69 to start with. How is the rust situation?
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX
74 Jensen Healey

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal

ddquach
Posts: 5
Joined: 06 May 2018 14:20
Location: West Covina, CA

Re: New 2d 510 Owner in Los Angeles

Post by ddquach » 06 May 2018 23:05

two_68_510s wrote:
06 May 2018 17:12
Welcome,

Datsport in Australia, Baz and tRacy will take care of you.

http://www.datsport.com/

Looks like a good 69 to start with. How is the rust situation?
The only bright part about the car is the little to no rust. A close friend on mines and my wife went to check out the car first as we were overseas on vacation. He works buying and selling used car and wife contacted him to check the car out first. I scope the car as well and yes very little rust. The only rust i found are surface rust in the trunk area where the spare tires is. The wires are mostly a hack job. Transmission seems to be a dogleg style prob from a older model 200SX. Crack dash, fuel gauge and temp gauge don't work. Heater core has been cut which is fine prob going with vintage air as it to HOT in Socal.
Doug

'11 S550 / '06 E350 / '71 Datsun 510

Past Cars
'06 Supercharged IS350 / '96 Celica

User avatar
Byron510
Moderator
Posts: 11970
Joined: 01 Jul 2003 23:06
Location: Maple Ridge, BC

Re: New 2d 510 Owner in Los Angeles

Post by Byron510 » 07 May 2018 06:40

Welcome to the Realm.
Looks like a great starting base to a good car. We’ll look forward to more photos of the whole car.
Pretty cool gift, I’m sure most of us would agree.
Wiring is about as basic as it gets on a 510. It’s still a system to learn, but really basic. Unless a section has been physically cut or burned, cleaning up the existing wiring is usually the easiest and most reliable in the end - even if a power train transplant is happening in the future.
What are your power train plans, BTW?

As for the heater, a number of people are now leaning towards the compact Vintage Air type packages, regardless of the power plant in place. It certainly adds a level of comfort.

We look forward to seeing your new progect progress into ‘your car’. There’s a wealth of knowledge here to take advantag of.

Thanks for joining us.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

ddquach
Posts: 5
Joined: 06 May 2018 14:20
Location: West Covina, CA

Re: New 2d 510 Owner in Los Angeles

Post by ddquach » 09 May 2018 10:26

Byron510 wrote:
07 May 2018 06:40
Welcome to the Realm.
Looks like a great starting base to a good car. We’ll look forward to more photos of the whole car.
Pretty cool gift, I’m sure most of us would agree.
Wiring is about as basic as it gets on a 510. It’s still a system to learn, but really basic. Unless a section has been physically cut or burned, cleaning up the existing wiring is usually the easiest and most reliable in the end - even if a power train transplant is happening in the future.
What are your power train plans, BTW?

As for the heater, a number of people are now leaning towards the compact Vintage Air type packages, regardless of the power plant in place. It certainly adds a level of comfort.

We look forward to seeing your new progect progress into ‘your car’. There’s a wealth of knowledge here to take advantag of.

Thanks for joining us.

Byron
The 510realm seems to be down the other day. Didn't know if it was me or what. Do we need to help donate as I found this forum is a big help with a lot of my question. Plans for the power train is to eventually put a SR20DET in with a normal trans. Hate this dogleg style stick. As for now will enjoy the L-series motor until I get tired of it and build the foundation first. Suspension, Brakes, Body and paint, gauges and seals, than motor. Prob going to just replace everything if possible for reason as it a 47yr old car and make it safe for wife and kids. As far as the AC most people go with the Compac Vintage system but looks like you have to cut the bracket for the dash in the center and modify the glove box to make it fit. not sure if there a different between that version and the Vacuum ShortPac model. Seems like this one you don't have to modify your dash and glove box as much. Only other thing I been trying to figure out is when i put gas in it and when it full the gas spills out instead of stop like normal tube will. Maybe previous owner install the tube wrong. Trying to figure out the engine filter to replace it and once i'm ready for SR20 swap if I need a new driveshaft as well. thanks all again guys.

ImageIMG_6917 by Douglas Quach, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6913 by Douglas Quach, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6919 by Douglas Quach, on Flickr
Doug

'11 S550 / '06 E350 / '71 Datsun 510

Past Cars
'06 Supercharged IS350 / '96 Celica

User avatar
two_68_510s
Supporter
Posts: 3757
Joined: 18 Apr 2010 11:20
Location: Ben Lomond California
Contact:

Re: New 2d 510 Owner in Los Angeles

Post by two_68_510s » 09 May 2018 18:48

I am in the process of installing vintage air in my 68, tight but workable, I used the mini version I think.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX
74 Jensen Healey

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal

ddquach
Posts: 5
Joined: 06 May 2018 14:20
Location: West Covina, CA

Re: New 2d 510 Owner in Los Angeles

Post by ddquach » 10 May 2018 09:19

two_68_510s wrote:
09 May 2018 18:48
I am in the process of installing vintage air in my 68, tight but workable, I used the mini version I think.
Let me know how it goes. If possible takes pics. I was planning on ordering one soon as summer is right around the corner. I didn't want to do a lot of cutting just in case I want to restore the car instead of a restro-mod. Was planning on using the heater core area as well since the line was cut and I can hide the unit behind the heater core housing.
Doug

'11 S550 / '06 E350 / '71 Datsun 510

Past Cars
'06 Supercharged IS350 / '96 Celica

Post Reply