Hi everyone, new member, new 510 project. Brit in Greece! :)

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
Aashenfox

Hi everyone, new member, new 510 project. Brit in Greece! :)

Post by Aashenfox »

Hey guys n gals,

As stated, I'm a Brit living in Greece for the last 15 years. I've been a fast car enthusiast forever.

I've had 13 cars just since I've been in Greece, but here are some highlights from the last few...

MkII Golf GTi with 20vt swap
Civic Type R EP3, mostly stock
Honda S2000, mostly stock
E92 BMW 335xi with about 380awhp (stolen in Aug 2016)
Current: Nissan 350Z - Mostly stock, it's a rescue project, poor thing. It was horribly abused but is now almost like new.
The Z will be finished soon, and will then be sold to fund the 510 project. I've always had love for the 510 since the first time I saw one. Its shape is just the perfect car in my opinion, combined with its simple handling characteristics.

I'll post up some pics of the car I'm looking at so you guys can have a giggle. When you see these pics, bear in mind, this project is going to be the full monty, strip and repaint chassis and body, a lot of new parts going in will be custom, so the condition really isn't that important, project may take 5 years or more. HOWEVER, if you can spot anything from these pics that should warn me off (I already realised the trunk lid is a difficult one to source, I'll probably repair the existing one), then please do shout out. :) Not my pics, from an advert...

I'm planning on picking this car up around mid July for just a few hundred bucks. I don't even know if it drives currently, but knowing the Greeks, it probably does!!

Looking forward to meeting you all and getting some great advice. :)
Le Mans sunset 03 Nissan 350Z...Brit in Greece! Got any spare cash? lol 510 incoming!!
Byron510

Re: Hi everyone, new member, new 510 project. Brit in Greece! :)

Post by Byron510 »

Welcome to the Realm.

The new project looks complete, which is really important. I see a factory clock. The white needle dash would indicate 1970, but that’s easily changed. I’ll assume it’s an L-14 engine with a 4 spd? It defiantly looks like it’s been sitting for some time, but also looks like it was lived at one time with the aftermarket wheels and paint in an 80’s colour. Also the addition of the Momo wheel and console with gauges.

Do keep us posted, we have very few European guys with us, and I don’t think anyone from the Mediterranean. Be great to follow the project.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Aashenfox

Post by Aashenfox »

Thanks for the welcome, you bet I'll keep you all posted! :D

P.S. Yes, you are correct, it's a 1.4 :)
Le Mans sunset 03 Nissan 350Z...Brit in Greece! Got any spare cash? lol 510 incoming!!
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

Welcome, looks like a good project to get into.
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

Nice straight car.
a good power wash will be a nice start.
Progress is slow, but it is progress non the less.
Aashenfox

Post by Aashenfox »

Encouraging words, thanks guys. Hm, I think I'm going to accelerate my purchase make sure I don't miss out on this one.

So yeh, about being in the med. One of the advantages I think I have here is the easy access to datsun and nissan farm vehicles (you guys call them pickups, lol), I understand quite a few engines and gearboxes and other parts are interchangeable to an extent, there also loads of rotten 120ys and other old datsuns kicking around, so easy access to original spares. I'm hoping to build one to sell for huge profit, fully original and possibly simultaneously, or shortly after, build myself an RB20 kitted one (lots of these engines here too, and lots of experience shoehorning them locally) with decent power for a daily driver.

So, here're my first questions... I understand I can use an R160 diff in the 510, but with 300 at the crank (potentially in the future), it's going to need a locker kit. I've seen these 'add-on' kits on ebay to turn a 160 into a LSD, do they work? Seems like a cheap solution, cos I can get those 160s all day long for virtually free (old Nissan trucks)

What about having an entire donor car? Another thought I had was to pick up a cheap 200sx, and use EVERYTHING. Engine, gearbox, brakes, even most of the dash, etc, is that at all feasible?

Oh, and just out of curiosity, what kind of HP can I get out of the 1.4 if I really do the works on it? Keeping it NA.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

If you found an 85-87 200SX, then you'd also have found a larger R180 diff to use.

Alternatively, you've mentioned that farm truck are apleanty - in this case look for a 80-86 720 4x4, the front diffs are R180 as well, and easily converted with the stub shafts in your existing R160 to bolt in. This used to be the normal swap for us NA guys. Gear ratios here were 4.11, 4.375 and 4.625 (rare, L20B long box 1980 only). I have been told 3.9's exist in Europe, but can't confirm this. However before even looking at the diff, the ratios are listed on the fire wall rating plate to one digit - ie, the 4.11 ratio is listed as 4.1, the 4.375 ratio is 4.3 ect.

Failing all this, you can go Subaru LSD from later model cars. Now there is a plethora of CLSD, VLSD's and Torsens available in R160 and R180 sized, and I can barely get my head wrapped around what is available here in North America due to all the conflicting information. Adding Euro spec into the mix will no doubt change things as wheel/tire (tyre???) combo's change and so would the final drive ratios.....

I know I'm just lighting the fire here for you, but it's a place to start. And regarding the cheater LSD's - they're likely not worth beans, or they'd be incorporated into OEM cars.....just an overall feeling, but never tried them.

Anyways, keep us posted.
Aashenfox

Post by Aashenfox »

Thanks for the pointers.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Aashenfox - any movement on this project?

Byron