New to the realm

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
ray23

New to the realm

Post by ray23 » 26 Aug 2018 08:08

what up fellas!, I live in Temecula, Ca. I own a 72 2 door 510, she's getting all the cancer out by Motec Performance here in Murrieta. She's still far along but I cant wait to get her back. I'm thinking of acquiring one of Javier Sacio's race KA's but not sure what to do to make it street-able, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Ray
72 Datsun 510 2 door
86 Ford F250 extra cab 6.9 turbo Diesel 2WD

bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: New to the realm

Post by bertvorgon » 26 Aug 2018 10:10

Welcome!

First thing to determine is WHAT is the compression ratio, as that will determine what fuel you have to run, for the engine to be happy and survive.

Maybe post up some spec's on the engine, as it may not be the way to start out if it is a true race engine, as camshaft issues could make it not too much fun in regular driving from stop light to stop light.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

ray23

Post by ray23 » 26 Aug 2018 13:05

I'm in the process of getting all the info i.e. build sheet etc.. From our last conversation he mentioned 13:1 compression. and cams were custom ground by Jim Wolf and the power band was high around 7-9K rpms so I would assume their pretty big/high lobe profiles. He said he'll try and contact Sly or Ed Pink-and see about the build sheets. I'll probably move this over to the "general discussion" threads.
Ray
72 Datsun 510 2 door

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 26 Aug 2018 14:08

That would be not very street friendly at all!

You would be better to either build or find something else, than try to de-tune this monster.

For a nice street friendly power band, you want something that pulls very well from say 3,000 to 5,000/6,000.

There would be no bottom end on that motor IMHO.

Then, that compression, even with that sort of overlap, would require more than just 91/92 octane pump fuel.

Plus..if a used race motor....what condition is it in? Motors that turn that sort of RPM need to be checked over/re-built every 3-4 races depending on so many things.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law

510rob

Post by 510rob » 26 Aug 2018 21:14

Sounds like a great motor if you want to pay $20/gallon for fuel.

ray23

Post by ray23 » 26 Aug 2018 21:36

he's selling the unit at a very reasonable price and the engine has already been gone thru and freshened up, it's his ready spare engine. now I've looked into rebuilding one myself but the price for a used unit 1K or less , forged crank stroked for a KA is already 2K, not to mention the con rods and pistons. head job ported and polish with good bits would most likely be in the 1K and up range. I emailed Dave Rebello awhile back and a drop in engine with side drafts is around 10K, My HP goals are very moderate NA 200-250, I want a well balanced car at the end. Reliable and has the power when I need it. Now for this race engine wouldn't a cam change and a thicker head gasket work? maybe bring me down in the 11:1 comp area and should be ok for pump gas. I'm going side drafts for this engine build and ditching the EFI...maybe?
Ray
72 Datsun 510 2 door

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 27 Aug 2018 07:00

A lot of things going on here, I'm maybe not the best to explain, but,...

11:1 is still pretty high for pump fuel...a few of us have been there...

with milder cams, that effectively increases the "dynamic" compression, which is not what you want.

http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/pag ... /prd68.htm

I lived that too, my "big" cam let me ALMOST be able to run 94 octane fuel with a static cranking pressure of 160, with my "smaller" cam in, my cranking pressure went UP to almost 200 PSI, which meant when I just breathed on the throttle, the engine detonated...THAT you never want.

Horsepower does not come cheap, just a reality. Rebello's price is on the money and you get an awesome package. While your HP goal is "moderate" it is up there from a stock KA ( injected), where with a good exhaust you would be in the 160 range. We have members here with that sort of setup and it is a very nice "street" package, tractable with a nice power band.

A "well balanced" car is really about the handling too, I would concentrate on making the suspension and tire choice the main priorities first, then the engine/transmission and final gearing. A good handling lower power car will beat a high HP car with evil handling any time of the day.

Some thoughts at any rate.

Keith Law