Art Hughes Remembering War Vets

General Discussion about the 510 Club of BC
Byron510

Art Hughes Remembering War Vets

Post by Byron510 »

As many of you know, Art Hughes is more than just a 510 show car nut - he's also a decorated world war veteran.
He's done us proud again this year, and was featured on the front page of the Province today. For those out of town-ers, I thought I'd post this.
Byron

Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
merlin
Supporter

Re: Art Hughes Remembering War Vets

Post by merlin »

As the grandson of 2 WW2 vets - Canadian Navy corvette machinist and a British Army Supply master for the D Day invasion, and a great grandson of a WW1 spy hunter... I tip my hat to Art Hughes, and to our forces in Afghanada.
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Thanks Art, for more than just Datsuns and friendship!
Jason
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

simply amazing!
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Thanks Art!

I shed a tear for my Dad today, passed away in 2007. He was both an Air Gunner, and then in the 39 R Wing, doing aerial reconnasense. He went from England, through Belgum and Holland, and finally Germany. He was with some of the first troops to have to go in and document the Belsen death camp. We have some of the first pictures of his, that were taken of the super secret jet plane the Germans were developing. his album is an amazing record of his time there.

I made this memorial to him, before he died, and was so glad to be able to honour him with it. I have found some more of his things to go in it, even the sweet heart pin he sent to Mom from overseas.

Rest in Peace Dad, and thanks to all the both have given their lives, and to those that fight for what is right, now!
Attachments
IMG_7442.JPG
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Got my newsletter today..like to thank those that decided to put Art on the cover! That is very cool, and could not be more fitting, honouring Art for both his service to the Country, and of course being the consumate Datsun guy.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

just be sure to not show the newsletter to anyone from the Province, etc...

you know, that whole copyright thing.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

bertvorgon wrote:Got my newsletter today..like to thank those that decided to put Art on the cover! That is very cool, and could not be more fitting, honouring Art for both his service to the Country, and of course being the consumate Datsun guy.
One guess.
Just felt right you know.
Glad you liked it.
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
86 300zx na2t VG30et converted
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Good choice Denis, good newsletter for sure! Just got it in the mail tonight.
Jason
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

jason wrote:Good choice Denis, good newsletter for sure! Just got it in the mail tonight.
So... you got the mail BEFORE the 21st!!! :lol:
Your RSVP will be right on time :D With a few days to spare :wink:

Good job Denis, it does Art proud.
Byron
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

Dad got his today too.
Didn't even notice the party invite inside... I hope others do.

I haven't read all of it yet, but great work Denis!
richard norrish
dcuplover

Post by dcuplover »

Art set a new collection record this year! Something like $16 000!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Art's legacy lives on, check out this artcal in Hemmings;

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/author/kurt/

An unlikely champion – Dan Uphoff’s 1972 Datsun 510
Kurt Ernst

Arthur Hughes didn’t know he was buying a collector car, let alone a legacy, when he purchased the dark blue 1972 Datsun 510 at Brasso Datsun in November of 1971. Nearly 44 years later, the two-family Datsun is well-known among West Coast Datsun (and Japanese car) collectors, and may well be one of the nicest unmodified examples on the planet. It’s fitting, then, that current owner Dan Uphoff refers to the car as “Art,” in tribute to its long-term caretaker who died in December of 2012.
Arthur didn’t even buy the car for his own use; instead, concerned that his aunt, Isobel Palmer, could no longer handle a full-size car, Arthur purchased the Datsun for her as a more sensible alternative. As delivered, it came with a three-speed automatic transmission, tinted glass, a rear defroster and an AM radio, but Arthur insisted the dealer add an optional passenger door side view mirror to enhance safety. For the next eight years, his aunt used the car as her daily driver, though in that span of time racked up just 7,000 miles on the odometer. It still carried the protective vinyl film on the rear door panels, further evidence of light usage, and when Arthur’s aunt Isobel died in 1979, ownership of the 510 fell back to Arthur.
Attachments
Dan Uphoff’s 1972 Datsun 510 at the 2015 Forest Grove Concours d’Elegance. Photos courtesy Dan Uphoff.
Dan Uphoff’s 1972 Datsun 510 at the 2015 Forest Grove Concours d’Elegance. Photos courtesy Dan Uphoff.
Art 1.jpg (111.72 KiB) Viewed 5896 times
Arthur Hughes with his 510.
Arthur Hughes with his 510.
Art 2.jpg (87.33 KiB) Viewed 5896 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

In 2008, Arthur’s health forced him to retire from the show circuit, and in 2011, the blue 510 was sold to Dan Uphoff’s father. Dan himself had been captivated by the car since age five, and Arthur had been something of a grandfather figure to him, so it was fitting that Dan became the steward of the car he calls Art in 2013.
Though the 510 remains unmodified, it’s not quite accurate to call it entirely original. Rust in the rocker panels and fender lowers was repaired, and the entire car repainted in 2003. At the same time the car’s 1.6-liter four was rebuilt and repainted, though at the time Arthur deemed the work “not yet necessary.” On all repairs, only OEM or reconditioned Datsun parts have been used ensuring that the car remains as close to as-delivered specification as possible. The only aftermarket additions are a steering wheel cover, an alarm system, and modern radial tires (though the narrow whitewalls preserve the car’s original look).

Today, the Datsun shows around 137,000 miles on the odometer, and as with Arthur, Dan plans on keeping the car entirely in unmodified form. Dan’s first place finish in the Japanese Sports Cars 1946-1974 category at the recent Forest Grove Concours d’Elegance is evidence that the car will continue its winning ways under his ownership, a fitting tribute to the car’s buyer and original guardian.

Submitted by Kurt Ernst
Attachments
Arthur details the 510 at a show.
Arthur details the 510 at a show.
Art 3.jpg (99.99 KiB) Viewed 5896 times
Dan’s 510 with Gary Groce’s 1972 Datsun 240Z at the 2015 Forest Grove Concours d’Elegance.
Dan’s 510 with Gary Groce’s 1972 Datsun 240Z at the 2015 Forest Grove Concours d’Elegance.
Art 4.jpg (83.19 KiB) Viewed 5896 times
danfiveten

Post by danfiveten »

Beat me to the punch. I didnt even know the article was actually up until a few hours ago.
Vehicles
Art Hughes 1972 Preserved 510
1971 Purple Ratsun 510
2006 AltimaSE-R and 2012 Maxima
1979 Datsun 620
2007 Pathfinder