Art Hughes Remembering War Vets

General Discussion about the 510 Club of BC
McShagger510

Re: Art Hughes Remembering War Vets

Post by McShagger510 »

Nice to see a little slice of Art in Hemmings & great to see my photos in Hemmings too! :wink: :mrgreen:

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
boostedlegowgn

Post by boostedlegowgn »

Hi guys - I'm with the Sun/Province/National Post, and I'd like to do something on Art's and his car with Nov 11th coming up. Can anybody who has some good club stories get hold of me via PM or here? I sent Dan in OR a note already.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Dan, I'll send you a PM.

With Art, I wouldn't know where to begin as there are so many stories.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

Good man! Lest we forget
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

One of my best remembrances of Art was when we were all going over to the Vancouver Island Car show, we were on the Victoria ferry.

I was sitting next to Art in one of the lounges, we were all talking cars. I look at Art and he is intently looking at a book in the hands of a young, Japanese looking lady across from us.

In the next few seconds he blazes away in Japanese, fundamentally asking her what she thought of the book, because he had read it. She just about fell out of her chair, as I guess his Japanese was beyond fluent, and the inflection was perfect. I just about choked on my coffee, as I had no idea at that time of Art's back ground.

As Art looked after the medals for veterans and refurbished them, I had some great conversations with Art about that time period and was able to help him due to my works access to certain things.

Art and I also attended with our cars, a big show at B.C. Place in 1997...full on stock and full on modified, side by side. We had so much fun that day as Art was tickled to show the differences in the cars, and the HUGE stream of people that..Had a 510..learned to drive on a 510...wrecked 3-510's...Gramma had a 510....and on....

Good remembrances for sure...THANKS ART!
Attachments
016.jpg
016.jpg (147.76 KiB) Viewed 13688 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
danfiveten

Post by danfiveten »

Emailing him some info, and in case you read on here should check the article out for some info. http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015 ... atsun-510/

I miss Art alot, everyone knows that. Im so happy to see things getting published about him. He was so dedicated with the Poppies every year, and his 510. Just makes me so very happy to see him being remembered in such a great way :)
Vehicles
Art Hughes 1972 Preserved 510
1971 Purple Ratsun 510
2006 AltimaSE-R and 2012 Maxima
1979 Datsun 620
2007 Pathfinder
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

As we head towards Remembrance Day, which as the World turns right now should be every day, I bring my Dad's shadow box to the forefront in my living room.

Along with that, here is the best picture of Art.
Attachments
Art_Hughs.jpg
Art_Hughs.jpg (71.65 KiB) Viewed 13653 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
boostedlegowgn

Post by boostedlegowgn »

Hi guys,

Here's the article I put together, which should go to print in Friday's paper. Tried to credit everyone properly on photos, so let me know if there are any corrections to be made and I can fix before it goes to print. Thanks for everyone's help on this:

http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/in-ser ... lue-datsun
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

PM sent.

Keith Law
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

I'd like to thank every Vet on the Realm for their service and commitment and that shot of Art is ART..
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
danfiveten

Post by danfiveten »

Really miss art.

I Still think the city needs to put a plaque, or a bench...SOMETHING on that corner to honor a man who put so many years, and hours selling poppies. That corner is not the same without him, just the city does not care what i think since im from oregon :(
Vehicles
1971 Purple Ratsun 510
1979 Datsun 620
2007 Pathfinder
danfiveten

Post by danfiveten »

Like a plaque, With Arthur in front of his 510 on the street corner. Would be amazing.
Vehicles
1971 Purple Ratsun 510
1979 Datsun 620
2007 Pathfinder
danfiveten

Post by danfiveten »

Does anyone know anyone in the city of vancouver, thta coudl help us get a bench, or plaque put on the corner where art stood selling poppies. I know alot of people would be willing to donate to sucha thing, its just getting the city to allow it.
Vehicles
1971 Purple Ratsun 510
1979 Datsun 620
2007 Pathfinder
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Part of me says we just do it....Guerrilla tactic... phone GLOBAL TV to let them know and why...then dare the City to take it down!

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

bertvorgon wrote:As we head towards Remembrance Day, which as the World turns right now should be every day, I bring my Dad's shadow box to the forefront in my living room.

Along with that, here is the best picture of Art.
Well it was a great day for me today, surrounded by friends and family this Rememberence Day. However what I wanted to do today was remember a close friend.
IMG_6995.JPG
IMG_6995.JPG (76.97 KiB) Viewed 8380 times
As I stood at attention today at the local cenotaph with both my kids in their respective scout troops in full uniform, and given the full gun salute we remember those fallen in past wars and the debt of gratitude we owe them. I don't forget, and neither shall my kids.

But this is also the time of year I always think of my friend Art, as I did many years before he passed away. In life, Art always looked sharp in his British uniform, and he was always proud to wear it. This photo Keith is a great representation of Art, and the reminder of the many stories he did share with me over the years. Stories I was very greatful that he shared with me, and I have come to treasure those discussion we had, often over a spaghetti dinner.

To our friend Art; we remember your contributions to peace on this earth, and may you yourself rest in peace my good friend.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.