north van show: stock 510 owners left out

General Discussion about the 510 Club of BC
RMS
Supporter

north van show: stock 510 owners left out

Post by RMS »

i have noticed a gap in the 510 club of BC car shows. it seems to me that the stock 510s are always out shined by the modified cars. why? because there is no stock class or award for best stock car. with the approval of the 510 club of BC board of directors i will be making an award for best stock 510. the award shall be a floating award and shall be passed on from the previous years winner. only 510 club of bc members in good standing will be eligible to win. i would like to make it a concours event. The purpose of a concours is to promote the preservation of the Datsun 510 in its original state. The primary focus of judging is on originality, craftsmanship, authenticity and condition with secondary emphasis on cosmetics. Over-restoration, extravagant paint and extra bling detract from originality. Datsun 510s were built to be driven, not to be trailer queens. Cars are not expected to be perfect. Some minor road dust and wear is to be expected.

i have gathered some ideas from other clubs and concours events. Judging will be done based on a points system with every car starting out as perfect and deductions made as necessary as each component is evaluated. their will be 4 category's with sub category's judged. The category's will be:

“Exterior ”Coachwork (Metalwork and Fit) Exterior Surfaces (Including Paint and Excluding Items
Listed hear after) Outer Surfaces of Glass, Lights, Windshields, etc.(Operation of Lights). Metal/plastic trim, rubber trim, bumpers,Outer Surfaces of Wheels and Tires, Hubcaps

“INTERIOR including trunk ” Seats, Mechanism of Seats and Belts, Upholstery of Door and Side Panels, Headliner Carpeting and Floor Covering (Includes Surface Under Floor Mats and carpet), Glove Box ash tray Parcel shelf ,Dashboard, Steering Wheel, Instruments, Underside of Dash Down to Floor, Inner Surfaces of Glass, Door Hinges scuff plaits Inner Surfaces of Glass,Trunk Compartment (Includes Paint and Side Covering for wagons) Underside of Trunk Lid/hatch Including Latches, Hinges and Rubber Molding,Jack, Spare Tire, and Restraints

“UNDERBODY” sheet metal, paint, front cross member including suspension front brakes and bushings, rear end live or independent, trany, drive shaft exhaust system

“ENGINE COMPARTMENT” Engine, Sheet Metal, paint, Underside of Engine Compartment Lid
Alternator, Pulleys and Belts, Wiring and Other Electrical Components

i have yet to compile the judging criteria and how points will be distributed amongst the sub category's
any feed back is welcome. i will also be looking for judges. Judges will be instructed to use the following percentages when determining how to deduct points up to the maximum deduction.thay will look at the item in question and consider AUTHENTICITY (50%), WORKMANSHIP (35%) and MAINTENANCE (15%).

am i wasting my time? is any one interested in concours?
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
510z

Re: north van show: stock 510 owners left out

Post by 510z »

there is a stock class every year 1,2,3 place expect last year
RMS
Supporter

Re: north van show: stock 510 owners left out

Post by RMS »

the feeling i got from the guys at the AGM is that the guys with stock cars get left out and most don't show up
i was hoping that a more involved stock class and coveted award would bring out more cars.
im just trying to do my part for the club

cheers