Langley cruise in

General Discussion about the 510 Club of BC
McShagger510

Re: Langley cruise in

Post by McShagger510 »

An early start to a fantastic day. I stopped by to grab some cash in the early AM but must have just missed Keith at the plant. OK its on! Earplugs in and a 5:30am blast down the highway to catch-up to the guys - what a way to start the day! :twisted:
Once we were in and parked at the show, it was nice relax and just enjoy the day. We were lined up at an excellent spot - right beside the barricade to leave whenever. Some of those cars that were right in the middle of it all, who knows when they could even think about taking off. Our seven 510's,the three Z's and John's Roaster looked great all lined up together in our own block right beside the cop shop.
When I was back at my car, I ran into the fella a purchased my very first 510 wagon from. Phil had a pile of 510s, one being a 13B rotary wagon at the time.
Ron, Rich and I went for some nice Thai food in an air conditioned restaurant that was not really that busy. Sure beats standing in line for some crummy burger, Ha Ha.
Thanks for organizing this perfect day Aron!

:mrgreen: James :mrgreen:

Best of show in my opinion - chopped, channeled and sectioned ............ amazing!!

Walking, pooping dust mop!!

Rich liked this bike - machinist built?

Rich and Byron get schooled on the operation of this early model T.

DAT A$$
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
Ash510

Post by Ash510 »

the day could not have been any better, I met a lot of new people that where very interested in talking to everyone in the group about the mods that have been done to the cars. how fast is it, how much power does it have, how does it handle. on and on it went for the rest of the day. I think most of the people I talked to were happy to see something different.
I think most people wanted to talk to us and share their stories of owning a 510, which was so much fun. Most of the stories are very entertaining, and bring back lots of memories.

I had a great time, and got to spend the day with all my freinds. The wife also came out with one of my sons.

here are just a few pictures. Aron
Attachments
langley cruise inn 003.jpg
langley cruise inn 003.jpg (102.91 KiB) Viewed 5050 times
langley cruise inn 002.jpg
langley cruise inn 002.jpg (104.3 KiB) Viewed 5050 times
langley cruise inn 001.jpg
langley cruise inn 001.jpg (95.74 KiB) Viewed 5050 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

We were gettin schooled on that model T - and not even by it's owner. Rich and I were looking at the updraft carb - trying to figure out how it worked. We were told that this was an early model - being 1917. the choke went ot he front of the car - because you were hand cranking it to start. You had to make sure the ignition (whihc is a lever onthe LH side of the steering wheel) was quite retarted before cranking, otherwise the motor would kick back, and likely break you arm! And yes a T motor will run in reverse! Next was the cockpit adjustable mixture linkage - looked like a coat hanger running down to a brass drain cock in the center of the car. Then there was the throttle linkage - again nut much more than a coat hanger size piece of wire, which runs THROUGH the block between #2 and 3, to the steering column where it then runs via a rod to a lever opposite the ignition lever RH side just below the steering wheel. There are three pedals, simply marked (from left to right) C, R and B. The C is for clutch, obviously. But what is not obvious is that the pedal has three positions; up in engaged in 2nd or top gear, neutral is achieved by holding the clutch in the middle position, the clutch fully depressed is 1st or low gear. Pressing the R pedal obviously gets you backing up, and B is for brake, or what little brake that a tiny single drum attached to the drive shaft will give you. But don't fret - the 22 HP that the model T Ford would give couldn't get you going all that fast anyways. I'd like to thank the guy who schooled us on the operation of this machine - I did find it interesting. That's when he told Rich and I that he was also into 510’s and had owned a couple of them over the years. :lol:

The bike Rich liked - I also liked. Check out the pipe work. No flash paint, or crazy chrome - just absolute superb workmanship in raw steel (or stainless and aluminum) The wheels appeared to be hand made, with the 5 spokes made out of square tube, welded to the hub and what was likely production rims - then simply sandblasted flat. The exhaust and oil line plumbing - well look at it, bloody artwork if I ever saw it. And everything on the bike was equally impressive - this coming from a guy who doesn't like bikes at all, but I sure can appreciate craftsmanship no matter where I see it.

Keith, I’m glad you took photos of the strait line Datsun PU. I didn’t get to see it at all I originally met that guy at the Old Time Drags in Ashcroft a few years back. The sheet metal on the front of that truck was horribly scabbed together – mostly made of poorly hand crafted panels that simply did not fit. I offered him a pair of fenders, a valence and a front bumper for a few dollars. I am glad I did and even happier to see it’s all been put to good use. It looks way better than it originally did.

Great show – anybody catch the number of entries? I’ve been told that show has attracted up to 2000 cars in the past, there was easily over a 1000 there this last weekend.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
gooned

Post by gooned »

I see we all have similar tastes...I have many of the same photos!

I had the family in tow all day and passed most of the gang three times but always headed in a different direction, we had finished the $5 pankace breakfast at 9:30 and trucked through everything by 1:30 :shock: non stop almost, huge turnout to take in.

We detoured back to the RC area for the kids before heading home for lunch and a nap - it said 31 on the van thermo heading home. :!:

I think the 510's were one of the very few to be under a club banner and grouped together -well done guys!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Did anybody get any pictures of the Corvairs? If you did, could you e-mail them to me.

thanks.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

so is there anyone going to this years event .?
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I think James is going, I'm not this year, I'm car showed out.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

if the weather holds i would like to go.
ding ding dong dong all night long long.