Twin Lakes : Hike to High Pass

General Discussion about the 510 Club of BC
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Twin Lakes : Hike to High Pass

Post by bertvorgon »

Really sorry you cannot make, I wanted you to see that country up there!

We will get something else in, I would still take a group back to the old mine up at Squamish if some were interested...specially those without passports! :lol:

One of our fall adventures still to come, is trying to find the old mine camp, across from the above. I have a friend who is supposed to check out the road, after the avalanche came down.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Evening World!

I'm making the call now that the hike is a go. Weather looks to be fantastic, could not be better.

I would like those coming to meet at the Campbell Valley store, 176th + 8th NO later than 5:15, so we can cross at 5:30.

CHAD, if you go down from Sumas and follow #547, we will wait for you, or vice versa, where 547 meets #542, Baker Highway.

Bring a day pack of course, and whatever you like for snacks, and lunch. Bring at LEAST 1 liter of water, there may be no snow runoff up high. Usually there is...but.... Make sure you bring some good energy food, you WILL burn some calories on this one.

Bring a small flash light if you want to go into any of the shafts (2) and maybe some beach shoes or flipflops, as there is water at the entrance of one. This will also be a test of who can stand COLD water, while they wade to the dry section..believe me it is ice water and the pain will be a TEST.

Clothing...it will be possibly cool in the morning, then, as we round one mountain base, we will be in the sun for the rest of the day, so maybe a light windbreaker, etc.. We will be on a high exposed ridge, where there might be wind, which can cool us after working up a bit of a sweat. I suspect it is going to be quite hot, as the sun is very intense still at 6,000+ feet. We will pick a sheltered spot for lunch anyhow, should we have to deal with any cold wind. Blue berries are ripe, so that will be nice, maybe even see a bear if we are lucky.

CAMERA, SUN GLASSES, and any foot care if you are prone to blisters. I pack a full kit so can help out there.

PASSPORT, PASSPORT, PASSPORT.

Also, as we are in a Washington State forest, in theory we need a day parking pass, which is 5.00 USD. We will stop in Glacier to attempt to procure them from the machine, but, if it does not work, we will not worry about it. I have some US, so if it is a big hassle for those driving, I can cover you. we will only have 4 -5 vehicles at this point, CHAD, MALCOLM, MATT, JASON, and hopefully Dave Christie.

We will be there for the whole day, hopefully hiking by 7:30 ish and back to the vehicles by late afternoon.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

if we don't go camping this weekend myself and Susan will come. I will have my van so I'll have 5 extra seats and tow ropes should Jason's soft roader get stuck ;)
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

What is this about a recreation pass. Being required to use the twin Peaks trailhead? According to the washing parks and rec page for.twin peaks....

http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/mbs/passes- ... recreation
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Please make sure your vehicle is fueled up! We want to not be waiting at gas stations, that always seems to take a ton of time.

Keith Law
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Keith, it's Cam, he'll run out of diesel on the way to the gas station!
Jason
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I know, I meant EVERYONE to be full.

Keith Law
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

But, gas is cheaper in the states, shouldn't we be going with empty tanks ;)!
Jason
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

oh.. I thought I was special :( :lol:

ok looks like Susan and I will be coming. I have room for 5 more.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

You can fill up on the way back!

I just want to be clear too.....Don't be late anybody!

Keith Law
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

Just picked up some travel medical insurance at BCAA this week. 10 mil. policy, good for one year, three day max in & out = ---- $42 ----- Cheep insurance and worth every penny if you get hurt in the USA {Hospital costs can be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$}. This is going to be awesome! Keith can we be in shorts or do we need pants or gators because of the brush? Alpine area should be open right? ETA at #542 crossing. Will be there early but would like to know a rough time.....
In just two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

OK, I have both of my young ladies confirmed, so I should be able to be carried back off when I have my heart attack along the way ...
Jason
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

Around what time do you expect to be at #542? Sue and I will be coming from Abby as well.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Shorts should be fine..NO bush wacking at all.

The trail starts UP right away, so we will warm up right off the bat. There is a pit toilet at the parking lot, and after that it is peeing in the bush or behind a rock, so be prepared, always a bit tougher for the ladies on these hikes.

I'm thinking that if both groups cross at 5;30, we should hit the junction at the same time, you guys might be a bit faster..so...we should be there by 6;30?! It's been so long since I have done that route, but, I think the distance is almost the same.

Jason, do you have appropriate paper work or whatever for the ladies? I remember Aron got hauled in with his son.

Remember....at the BORDER...nobody has EVER smoked or done any drugs!!!!!!!!! In light of what has gone on lately with the all powerful Homeland security clowns. Just say'in. You will tell them you are going to hike at Twin Lakes, up off the Baker Highway, a road that goes up at the works shed, and hike to High Pass, for the day.

Keith Law
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Yep, I have a sheet for each young lady, signed and ready to go. Mind, that won't stop them from making trouble if they want to at the border ....
Jason