What to do next!

General Discussion about the 510 Club of BC
bertvorgon
Supporter

What to do next!

Post by bertvorgon »

So, we have had some good adventures this past summer and fall, why stop? Part of these trips has us moving physically, keeping the ole' legs moving and making our cardio better.

Any input on another group walk or small hike?

I have few ideas for down the road.

We could head up the Chilliwack lake road, then up to the demolition area on Slesse creek. Then we follow the creek up to the base of Red Mountain, which is on the other side of the Twin Lakes hike. The hike is easy, we follow an old road, which is almost gone now, to the start of the old mine trail. part of this hike would be to re-establish the trail head, just to see where to head to next year, if we wanted to go to the Red Mountain gold mine. This hike puts us at the bottom of a hanging valley, spectacular view above us, where we would have lunch. Hike is maybe 1.5 hours to base, maybe hike up the then end of an avalanche chute, depending on snow conditions above us. Lots of exercise.

Or, we head outside of Hope and go visit the Othello tunnels. Of course we have to do that drive that we all hate on #1. It is a short walk to the tunnels, a railway engineering marvel. Not much exercise.

Go up to Allouette Lake, and hike to just above the Gold Creek waterfall on one trail, slight elevation gain, drop down to waterfall base, and follow Gold Creek back to parking lot. Moderate exercise.

Or....snow level is now going to keep us in the valley floors now

All of the above accessible by car.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
proflex
Supporter

Re: What to do next!

Post by proflex »

bertvorgon wrote:Or....snow level is now going to keep us in the valley floors now
Hell no!!! lol This was me this morning.:) Left at 8am, 6km hike in the snow, then run back to the truck and home by lunch....

I'm in... for any more adventure so... ;) Cheers
Attachments
IMG_2102.JPG
IMG_2102.JPG (280.54 KiB) Viewed 6196 times
IMG_2121.JPG
IMG_2121.JPG (307.55 KiB) Viewed 6196 times
IMG_2123.JPG
IMG_2123.JPG (314.26 KiB) Viewed 6196 times
IMG_2126.JPG
IMG_2126.JPG (283.26 KiB) Viewed 6196 times
IMG_2111.JPG
IMG_2111.JPG (174.65 KiB) Viewed 6196 times
IMG_2097.JPG
IMG_2097.JPG (140.65 KiB) Viewed 6196 times
In just two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Well, now that I've got my computer connected and co operating again I can see the messages on something better than my phone, phew, stupid computers! I'm game for anything Keith, it all sounds good. Now back to hacking at the computer problems ....
Jason
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Very impressive to a guy who never sees temps under 27F! Preparation is all of it I reckon.
This snow queen has equipment of the same vintage as mine!
Queen_of_Snow.jpg
Queen_of_Snow.jpg (49.96 KiB) Viewed 6191 times
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

My snowshoes are like those! hell, I'm old school all the way.

I think we should do the Red Mountain hike, we do enough driving.

You all will like it.

Your the man Chad... I wish I had your energy!

Joel, we never let the weather stop us, if we did, we would never leave the couch. ( Winter ride at my bike park)
Attachments
IMG_5263.JPG
IMG_5263.JPG (171.77 KiB) Viewed 6183 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

bertvorgon wrote:Your the man Chad... I wish I had your energy
https://vimeo.com/79013026 :wink:
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

We will do the Red Mountain base hike. It will be nice to try to spot the trail head again, as the lower end of the valley got rearranged from a massive land side some year ago. I will bring some flagging tape.

That way, next year, we can plan a major expedition up to the mine, and I mean major. If we do not do this soon, I suspect it will almost become not doable.

This hike is the first one Matt and I did with the 510 gang, back in the early 90's.

When I was in Hawaii in April, I was talking with the groundskeeper, telling him I had just come from the mountains a week before, where in the morning it was -5C (23F). He could not imagine that cold, telling me that when it gets into the 15C (60's F)., everyone thinks they are freezing there.

as a teaser, the "first" tunnel goes back...3,500 feet...think about that.....

Keith Law
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

Cool just say the word/time... I'm living at the lake now. 150ft from the beach :D , so all this area is my backyard now... :wink: