Wiper motor issues

General Discussion about the 510 Club of BC
Sampson

Wiper motor issues

Post by Sampson »

Just looking for some guidance or maybe some pointers. Had my wipers quit working on my 72. Now I've heard of some wiper motor swaps to a motor with more intermittent settings. Anyone have any luck with that? Thanks in advance, wiper woes :cry:
510rob

Re: Wiper motor issues

Post by 510rob »

1 - check the wiper fuse and wiggle it

2 - disconnect and reconnect (a few times) the connector for the wiper motor

3 - confirm that you have +12V at the wiper motor's blue/red wire when the ignition key is in either acc or on positions

...then report back.

On another note, I'm in the process of designing a plug & play intermittent wipers solution for 510s. It will allow the user a neat and easy solution, rather than hacking everything to bits in order to swap in some other switch and/or some other wiper motor...
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

510rob wrote:1 - It will allow the user a neat and easy solution, rather than hacking everything to bits in order to swap in some other switch and/or some other wiper motor...
I salvaged a Z car wiper motor (?)(the ones in the plastic bag?) about 12 years ago, but when I compared the mounting holes, it was going to require some hackfication and never got around to it. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

as no one can help me figure out the pin outs for the patch cable for my delay unit, I to look forward to what you come up with.

I can rebuild/ renew the motor for you or I can trade you a 80s jideco from a nissan truck. Looks to be plug and play, stops will have to be set.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Rebuild your stock motor:
DQ Volume 12 Issue 3 - Tech How-To: Stock Wiper Motor Rebuild - For those that would rather repair their stock wiper motor than swap to a Mazda unit, Derek Garnier details the steps involved.

Wiper linkage tuneup:
DQ Volume 6 Issue 1 - Wiper Linkage Tune-up - The wiper assembly is often neglected, simply because it looks to be impossible to properly service. How do you clean and lubricate the inner linkages? Bluebirds list member, and DQ subscriber, Dan Heil had done it, and provided us with his notes.

Swap to a Mazda motor:
DQ Volume 8 Issue 2 - Mazda Wiper Motor Conversion

Wire up intermittent:
DQ Volume 10 Issue 4 - Tech How-To: Winter Tune-Up — Winter is here and now is the time to prepare your 510 for the colder months of the year. DQ presents a trifecta of wintertime tune-up tips: Heater box restoration, heater valve repair, and an aftermarket kit to add intermittent windshield wipers to your 510.

In addition to what Rob suggested, check your ground and add a ground from the body to a good chassis point.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson