Victoria Machine Shop

General Discussion about the 510 Club of BC
HuD_91gt

Victoria Machine Shop

Post by HuD_91gt »

I did a search on this, and the only thing I came up with was stay away from J & B.

I have a head which was completely worked over with Whitehead Performance in Ontario. Upon installation of the head, due to a cam timing error a valve made very slight contact with a piston. Everything looks fine to the eye but i'd like to get the valve, seat and guide checked over locally in Victoria.

If it comes down to it, i'll get the head back to Vancouver and get Magnum to have a look over it as they did my bottom end but for such a small job it would be much easier to have a Victoria place look it over.

Any suggestions from island folk?
Crush - 1971 240z
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Victoria Machine Shop

Post by datzenmike »

I'm more of a do it myself kind of guy. I assume the head is off? At worst, only the valve stem would be bent. That would take a pretty big hit to do. Pry the rocker off and save the lash pad. Compress the spring and fish out the retainers. Push the valve just off it's seat and turn while watching. Does it wobble? Brush some machinist's blue on the valve face and seat and let dry. Install just the valve and turn it against the seat. Remove and have a look. If the valve has a shiny spot on it this is rubbing only on this one place and indicates it's bent. If evenly shiny all the way round then it's touching the seat evenly.

Or just cut to the chase and replace it. Give it a quick lap job.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
HuD_91gt

Post by HuD_91gt »

Thanks Mike. I'm a big DIY'er as well. I was building the engine on my own, before I shipped off the head for some serious port work after I attempted it myself. I now have enough invested into this thing that I don't want to risk it. Brand new valves, guides and seats all around.

With the amount of money in this build, i'm a little hesitant to start risking things for which I may not be able to do. I won't be able to lap the valves, or press in a new guide if required.
Crush - 1971 240z
HuD_91gt

Post by HuD_91gt »

Mike, Ended up ordering another valve. Since the seats are new, with a fresh grind and about 30 mins of run time on the engine would a standard lapping by hand be correct? From the looks of it, it seems like I can do that myself.
Crush - 1971 240z
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I would think so. Were your valves modified? All the rage today... 4 angle cut or is it 5 now??? Just like razor blades and wiper blade refills..
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
HuD_91gt

Post by HuD_91gt »

I honestly don't know if they were 3 or 5. I'd assume with a 5, you have to be careful you don't take off too much material when lapping?
Crush - 1971 240z