a common thread

General Discussion about the 510 Club of BC
rnorrish

a common thread

Postby rnorrish » 04 Oct 2005 23:13

We're not the only ones. I found this picture on an ice racing site from New York State, and what they do in their offseason.
http://www.cnyira.com/cnyiraphotosoffseason.html
http://www.cnyira.com/

It's getting to be that time of year again! (pssst. someone tell Malcolm ;) )
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote:My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.

hang_510
Supporter

RE: a common thread

Postby hang_510 » 05 Oct 2005 09:19

cool pics. that 'loaded w/extras' shot, is the next shot the 'extras", cuz i have some of those too. looks thay have a full 'offseason' over there.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.

okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.

Derek

Re: a common thread

Postby Derek » 05 Oct 2005 13:12

rnorrish wrote:It's getting to be that time of year again! (pssst. someone tell Malcolm ;) )

What are the safety requirements for ice-racing? I've convinced my friend Steve to go halfers on an Agassiz 1/4 mile Hornet racer, maybe we should break it in first by ice racing it this year. I was thinking a beat down 240SX would be a nice candidate.

Byron510

RE: Re: a common thread

Postby Byron510 » 05 Oct 2005 21:31

Derek,
Give me a shout if you like on this subject.
But basically you need an up to date Snell 2000 helmut, a CACC spec cage (Basic cage plus dash bar, min 2 drivers side bars, foot box bars) fire extinguisher, usual mechanical stuff tied down and in good shape. That's about it, besides the most important feature - up to date tires, in the best condition you can afford. If you are out just a to have fun, I have two sets of old Ice Tackies that you can have. They are 13", and mounted on Datsun rims of course (sorry, rims aren't part of that free deal, but if you can use them on those rims, feel free) It's a blast. If you are running a roundy-round car, you might want to think about a heater, not for your self (you'll be plenty hot enough, even on cold days) but to keep the windshield clear. You'll obviously also need wipers and working lights on both ends of the car.
Do it man, it's the most fun you'll ever have. I've been there!!
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

rnorrish

RE: Re: a common thread

Postby rnorrish » 05 Oct 2005 22:48

As for doing double duty, it looked like a CRX was the way to go for the Hornet class last time I was there. And a FWD car is usually quick on the ice.

But, I would much prefer to see another RWD on the ice(especially a Nissan), and you having FUN, than watch you be competitive and bored in a Honda.

If you have any questions about Kent and roundy rounds, fire away. That's where our yellow 510 started its life in our hands before ice racing and Knox. I'd also love to help if you need any extra hands!
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote:My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.

docholiday

Postby docholiday » 12 Oct 2005 22:49

hey guys. decided to try become more active on this forum. so when are these ice races. would love to come out an see a few other 510's. are there any meets planned anytime soon?

Byron510

Postby Byron510 » 13 Oct 2005 07:07

Dave,

If you'd like to be involved locally, check out the 510 Club of BC, one of it's members run this site. We get together one a month for a meeting, organize a couple car shows a year, have a couple parties a year and do the odd cruise. Our next event is a night at TBC to do some go-karting on Oct. 25th. Feel free to drop in...
As for Ice racing, It's done up near Ashcroft. Most of us stay in Cache Creek. There is usually 4 of 5 weekends of racing, on alternate weekends starting in January. I think the schedule is being set this month. you can check out their web site, I believe it's Cars on Ice.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

Return to “510 Club of BC”