New here but not to Datsuns !

General Discussion about the 510 Club of BC
scaredshitless

New here but not to Datsuns !

Post by scaredshitless »

Have been drooling on the Dat sites for too long now and wanting to find a new toy (510 that is !) I've had 2- nice 510's and 3- 280Z over the years and the time to act is soon. I drive a Pathfinder now .Does anyone know about the hoops to jump thru for importing a 510 up from the states ? I would like to find one with the body done so I can go to work ! I have been to the Customs sites but don't know about the rules for older cars.
??? Or.. any cars for sale around here under $8000 ?
510-Trevor
Supporter

RE: New here but not to Datsuns !

Post by 510-Trevor »

For anything over 15 years old its pretty easy. Once you buy the car, a copy of the bill of sale has to go US customs (72hr prior to you trying to cross the border) they use that time to very the car is not stolen and no leins. Go from there to Canada customs to pay gst/duty and other paperwork. Then depending on what province your in they will have some sort of inspection for the car prior to registering it in your name.
If you hire a shipper, they will take care of the import papers for you (for a fee).

For more info visit http://www.RIV.ca

As for a car to buy and fix up: http://www.the510realm.com/PNphpBB2-vie ... -6585.html
1972 Yellow 4dr
Dimebag

RE: New here but not to Datsuns !

Post by Dimebag »

Welcome here, but I'm curious to know what you're scaredshitless about?

Re: importing US cars - Sat/Sun/Holidays do not count towards the 72. You can buy binder insurance from your insurance agent to drive it home without having to be the registered owner. Once you get to Canada Customs you'll have to pay tax on the purchase price plus $100 if the vehicle has A/C.

Tip - If you do buy a vehicle in the US (as I did) you can fax the receipt, title, and your ID (d/l and passport) to the US Border crossing you plan to use once the deal is made with the seller to get the 72 hour clock ticking. I bought a car in Phoenix, faxed the paper work, and by the time I drove to the border, they let me sail right through. Make sure you call to confirm they are happy with the clarity of the fax, or they might not accept it. Also, they don't export on the weekends - Mon - Fri 9-5 only.
John Thiessen
72 Wagon