Speaking of Westwood... (Kinda not 510 related)

General Discussion about the 510 Club of BC
rnorrish

Speaking of Westwood... (Kinda not 510 related)

Post by rnorrish »

I found this video posted on YouTube, while looking for other Westwood related things, after Jim started the flashback thread: who taught you about 510s

It's about the last Vintage motorcycle race at the track, and is about 50mins long in total. There are some interviews about the track closing, a drivers meeting, racing etc., but it was more just a trip down memory lane seeing the ol' place again.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
bigjim5551212

Re: Speaking of Westwood... (Kinda not 510 related)

Post by bigjim5551212 »

none of these juniors ever knew about Westwood. I raced there from 1984 to 1990. I had a Datsun Radial Challenge Car. That was backyard racing. Only a Roll bar.
"He forgot more than what i know about a Datsun"
tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

this junior owns mark saunders 1981 &1983 gt 4 champion winning car.cool bike vids ,i have some dvds with some sedan racing but next to no datsuns. LIVE FOREVER WESTWOOD !
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

depends on what you define a junior... ;)

i posted those videos, and was 10 years old when it closed.

then again, kids born that year it closed have been able to drive for 2 years by now.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I had the privalage, to be with the last group that ran one of the practice nights at Westwood, with Ross Bentley, the Specialty crew, and a couple of others!
I consider myself very lucky to have been allowed in under the good graces of Ross, and of course Specialty, to be able to test my car under those circumstances. It sure helped with tuning my car for the wide open throttle stuff, under safe circumstances. We used to run until the headlights were needed. Those were sure good times, and one of my fastest laps out there was just under 1:16, racing against Dave Humpreys, in his Specialty prepared HL510.

This is totally 510 related, as the battle of the different shops in the DRC class, was some of the best wheel to wheel racing ever. Same as the Honda Challange series and the Camero series...wicked racing at it's best.

I used to love the 7 Hour Enduro, as I got the be the Crew Chief. Andy and Tracey would smoke off consistant 1:16's for the whole race, amazing stuff, each doing an hour and a half shift of pretty intense driving. We went to do well, and took it quite seriously.

Piglet Racing were the guys who were going to protest me for my fiberglass hood, at the last event of the season, for the Championship. I prayed for rain...which it did...and I took my wife's 1970 automatic 510, to the event, threw my big Pirelli CN36's tires on it....and blew them all away in the rain!!!!! I could use all the little 510's power, wheras the other Prepared guys could not, in the rain, and I plain outdrove them...ha..bastards...who says racing is not about strategy...and LUCK...

Trevor's car has resurfaced, and is now running again ( Byron has been working on it) :)

kinda brings a tear to my eye that that is all gone now.....sniff.... :cry:
Attachments
Piglet Racings 510, in Turn 2b at Westwood. This is one of the 510's that used to do battle with me at the slaloms.
Piglet Racings 510, in Turn 2b at Westwood. This is one of the 510's that used to do battle with me at the slaloms.
Trevor exiting the hairpin
Trevor exiting the hairpin
Trevor's DRC car, and Tracey's 510, at the pits At Westwood. Steve's 1200 in background, had full Nisaan Comp suspension in it.
Trevor's DRC car, and Tracey's 510, at the pits At Westwood. Steve's 1200 in background, had full Nisaan Comp suspension in it.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Hope I'm not boring you..here are a few more pictures from the old days...

This weekend in 1983 was filled some major disasters.....I crashed in the S's, and bought a tire wall (in my existing car, it survived with no real frame damage), we had Michelin radial race tires blow up( on our team members RX3), and then our engine absolutely exploded, 10 minutes before the end of the Enduro....and we were in 2nd place overall!!!!! If you are ever in Specialty Engineering, in the coffee room is a poster sized picture I did, showing all the carnage from the weekend.
Attachments
Westwood pits, early 80's
Westwood pits, early 80's
The Specialty GT2 510, ready for the enduro, in 1983
The Specialty GT2 510, ready for the enduro, in 1983
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

Keith, this stuff never gets boring!

Who drove the Piglet car?

any pictures of a DRC car with a diagonal stripe (RF corner to LR corner, over the roof)? Black and white and Pink...
richard norrish
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Piglet Racing was owned by Andre Yap Chung. This was a Solo only car, and that picture was taken during one of our Track days at Westood. This is when I ran the Prepared class with my 1800, which now seems to be in Calgary.

I don't have a picture of that car with the stripes. In retrospect, I wish I had taken more pictures. I have lots of the Enduro stuff, because of course I had some time to do it. I found this picture of Tracey's car, and Brian's Mazda, just before the start of the Enduro in 1984. This is with the new air dam, and Panasports, that we all stepped up to then. Brian's Mazda had a TEKAM prepared rotary of course, and was very fast. Do you Remember the TEKAM Mazda,...OTAR? They took it to Knox one year.
Attachments
Brian's Mazda, Tracey's 510
Brian's Mazda, Tracey's 510

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

TEKAM had a few cars running in those days, mostly RX3's. But didn't Toivo Hinonen's R100 have a TEKAM PP 13B? Those were crazy cars. I hated to be pitted next to them. The exhaust was so bad for the PP’s that you couldn’t breath, and you couldn't see because your eyes were watering so much! Big Jim might remember that I was also involved with the DRC cars near the end. But I had a lot more exposure through the Honda Michelin series of the time. Westwood was a fun track - to bad the SCC screwed it all up in the end. I do miss having a decent track in the area - somehow Mission just doesn't fill the gap, and never will no matter what modifications they do to that track. Westwood had a location and elevation changes that just can’t be duplicated.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

We made it a point, as did others, not to pit next to, or close to the rotarys'. Ring..gahgaga..ring...gahagah......

Toivo's car was really fast, he was quite a character

Keith Law
bigjim5551212

Post by bigjim5551212 »

Toivo is still around and still a character. I asked him one day, what he shifted at coming out of the hairpin. He said 9200 rpm...
"He forgot more than what i know about a Datsun"
vintageracer
Supporter

Post by vintageracer »

Westwood (WETwood as we called it!) has many good memories for me. I drove a 544 Volvo, BMW 2002, Datsun 510, 240Z, 280Z, Chevron B19/BMW spider and a Porshe 934 at the track. Many, many good times at Westwood. I was invited to the last sports car race but had to decline. I wish I had gone, now. It was a long way from St. Louis and I was too busy, so I thought. I missed out!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I love this thread, brings back so many good memories. These were some of the cool cars that ran out there, when I first started going. This would be in 1972'ish.

WetWood it was, suffering through many a torrential rain. As I live in White Rock, I would get the early morning phone call, as to what the weather would look like that MIGHT be coming. Many a day started very rainy, but I could look across the straight and maybe see better weather that was coming.

We were also very fortunate, to be able to get the track all to ourselves some weekends, for our own use. We would have a giant slalom on one day (had to keep the speeds down for Insurance purpose). We would camp out over by the old clubhouse, and have a barbecue. Then, later in the evening, do some laps of the track before dark....and maybe a few after dark......! We also would have a "CLUB" car, that we would beat on till it expired. We set up a course through the back forest area, and have a timed event. It is amazing what a car will actually kep going through. The attached picture(s), is the first of what became "Mr.Guts", the name given to the club car. The toughest was an old english beater, that we flogged through the bog pit, then raced through the upper gravel pits at Westwood, then took Ice Racing for our club event.
Attachments
1972 Westwood Race track.
1972 Westwood Race track.
The first Mr.Guts. Died finally, after hours of flogging, from lack of oil.
The first Mr.Guts. Died finally, after hours of flogging, from lack of oil.
The second Mr.Guts. It hardly got stuck in this! reved the hell out of it.
The second Mr.Guts. It hardly got stuck in this! reved the hell out of it.

Keith Law
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

hey! there's some more Datsun content...
can you spot it?
richard norrish
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

rnorrish wrote:hey! there's some more Datsun content...
can you spot it?

Roadster ??
Or
the 620??