Speaking of Westwood... (Kinda not 510 related)

General Discussion about the 510 Club of BC
Byron510

Re: Speaking of Westwood... (Kinda not 510 related)

Post by Byron510 »

Is that second photo the Whistler HIll climb or solo event?
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Damn...you are good...that is the Whistler Hillclimb! there is nothing but condos, the lifts, and people there now.

That is just before the bridge on Fitzsimmons Creek, that was the start line. I would be in 3rd gear, just before the right turn, to go up the the upper parking lot. I could just tag 4th, just before I crossed the finish line.

I have some neat video of me and Dave Christie battling it out at the slalom, some years later, up there.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

What there used to be autoX in my back yard??? That is Tsawwassen isn't it Keith? What year was that around?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I was torn between this or the SilverStar Ski resort run offs which were also a heck of a lot of fun. I never got to do the hill climb in Whistler, but I did do a solo there at the ski resorts upper parking lot once - great fun. Another great memory a few years later was the Streets of Squamish solo event.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yes, Spencer, that was in your back yard...EVERY year, for the Sun Festival, until Sunday shopping started to kill things. That was 1984 in that picture.
1984 was the first year of my car in it's present permutaion, of suspension at any rate. I won C-Mod that day, and almost tied John Haftner for FTD!

The Solo series that year had 11 slaloms for the Championship, with some of them tying in with a local cities festivities. It took us all over the place, even up to Vernon and over to Nanaimo and Courtenay. Fun times for sure, and of course, it kept the Cannonball's going at the time :twisted: .

When I look through this book I have in front of me, which I did for a tire sponsor, and Nissan Canada, they really were the GOOD OLD DAYS for slaloming in B.C.. 60 to 100 competitors, with most classes having tremendous battles for the class win. When Nissan stepped in for me, I felt like I had made the big time! Boxes of swag every year, and of course $500.00 for a class win. I still have some Nissan stuff I should part with this year, as homage to the 510 Club of B.C.'s 20th year.
Attachments
decals and jacket patches.JPG
's.JPG
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
280zzzzz

Post by 280zzzzz »

Richard - That old Westwood footage is awesome. We used to ride our dirtbikes in there for every event for 10 years! Those where the days.... How can we not have a race track now!!!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Because those that were in power were too short sighted to make sure it was not lost and now we have a glorified go-cart track!

Keith Law
280zzzzz

Post by 280zzzzz »

You are - exactly right Kieth. At least we can keep the cars alive!
It was great to meet you at the Langley show this year. Your car looks amazing!
I didn't realize you where such a fixture at Wetwood!
mel
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yah, always great to meet people from the "good old days", that is what I love about the car shows.

In retrospect, which I have said before, I feel very privileged to have had the access to Westwood that I did.

The first car club I joined, COLUMBIAN AUTOSPORT CLUB, had the use of the track in the 70's, for time trials and giant slaloms, then we would camp out at night there and barbecue salmon.
There was nobody around, basically it was..."Don't kill your selves!!" Can you imagine being able to do that at Mission now......

Then, with the Specialty crew, we got UN-fetteterd track time in the evenings, tucking in with the Ross Bentley practice time. I likely have 150 miles of track time there. We could drive till it got dark. I had one of my best un-official races there with Dave Humphreys, when he had his HL510, cracking into the 15's until my brakes went away ( and tires, and skill, and..... ).

I will scan in some of the 70's pictures there, with a bunch of the 510's at the time.

Keith Law