510 race history for sale on ebay

General Discussion about the 510 Club of BC
oldtransamdriver

510 race history for sale on ebay

Post by oldtransamdriver »

Just noticed an old 510 race car for sale on ebay - not a famous BRE car, but a privateer 510 that raced 4 or 5 times in the 1972 Trans-Am 2.5 Challenge Series. It was driven by a Gary Witzenberg, who I believe worked for GM, and later wrote a book about the early GM Firebirds.

It was known as the "Different Drummer Racing" racing 510 and I remember it from the 1972 Mid-Ohio Trans Am race weekend, as I was there also racing my 67 camaro in the over 2.5 race.

This car is a piece of T/A history and is probably over priced at the number being asked for the "buy-it-now" price, but who knows? There are not many of those original T/A 2.5 race cars in existence. For some reason, not many of them have been found - maybe they were all wrecked eventually.

It will probably go to a vintage racer eventually and hopefully will be campaigned again. Any of the 510's that race here in the NW vintage races are mostly BRE type clone cars. A few of the old Westwood DRC series cars have survived including one of mine that Doug Almond built and raced orignially at Westwood. It is now being raced out of Spokane WA in the vintage races and sometimes in the ICSCC races also. When I owned it a few years ago, Brian Meakings set some class records with it in Conference.

(That's your 510 race history lesson for today)

Robert Barg
rnorrish

RE: 510 race history for sale on ebay

Post by rnorrish »

ebay link

i think it's a little rough for even the starting price. but then again, what's the price of history?

i think i'd rather have the DRC car posted here that's in Surrey, and for likely a fraction of the cost. both would require an equal amount of restoring.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

that car is not original - the MSD 7A ignition box has an Electramotive sticker on it, which is too late for 1972 :P
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Oh Snap!! Good eye Rob! :)
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes