H145 Rear axle question please!

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
spottedog

H145 Rear axle question please!

Post by spottedog »

I have a ’74 B-210 with the H145 axle, my pinion shaft bearings are shot making nasty sounds so I pulled the carrier out to inspect.
The ring and pinion as well as the spider gears look great, (Datsun made good stuff) but the pinion shaft bearings are bad to the point that I can barely turn the driveshaft flange by hand!
Before taking things apart using micrometers I measured and wrote down everything so I have some hope of getting this back together. : )
The ring and pinion gear lash measured out at 0.007 which I believe is pretty good, also I welded up a bolt on “fixture” so I could get a good repeatable reading of the pinion gear depth in the case.
The only thing tore up is the two pinion bearings (the bearings are intact but shot)

Rock Auto has INNER bearing (NSK HR 32206C) but I can’t find a source for the OUTER bearing (NSK HR 303/22C)

Rock auto shows the OUTER bearing as having a outside diameter of 2.4409" but my original OUTER bearing (NSK HR 303/22C) is 2.204" outer diameter! Help!!

Without a NSK HR 303/22C (or another brand that is the same) my beloved little Datsun is undrivable.

I would like to find a new crush sleeve (also called spacer-drive pinion-bearing)
I read that (sometimes) you can reuse the old sleeve but this spooks me.

Picture of the bearings:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8cc2 ... /ry%3D400/

Any help as to where I can buy these parts, Nissan part numbers or spec sheets on the H145 axle would be GREATLY appreciated.
I miss my Datsun :cry:
defdes
Supporter

Re: H145 Rear axle question please!

Post by defdes »

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

spottedog wrote:Rock Auto has INNER bearing (NSK HR 32206C) but I can’t find a source for the OUTER bearing (NSK HR 303/22C)
Any bearing shop should be able to source those for you, if they don't have them in stock. My local city does not have any such thing, but the next city over has a couple bearing shops, so they're around.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

What is the build date on your '74?

I get a front and a rear pinion bearing with a crush spacer between them.

Rear pinion bearing: 38120 18000
Front pinion bearing 38140 18000

Crush spacer used up until 02 '74 .... 38165 H1000
Crush spacer used after 03 '74 ....... 38165 H1001

Behind the rear pinion bearing is a selectable washer or spacer. There are 18 of them of varying thicknesses to set or adjust the pinion to crown gear lash.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs