SF Bay '71 2d project daily dvr nds L series motor urgently!

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
tinrooster

SF Bay '71 2d project daily dvr nds L series motor urgently!

Post by tinrooster »

IMG_8775.jpg
Well, I was going to post an intro and project thread on my daily driver, project 510... but true to life, the dime we had nicknamed Ka-boom, went kaboom this morning on the way to work, and priorities and plans get tossed to hell, as usual.

So here's the short and dirty intro, since I haven't really posted here before. I'm a freelance theatre and computer guy in the San Francisco Bay Area, who had a Datsun 260/40 Z (260 with a 240 block & SUs) about 15 yrs ago, and always had a lingering desire to get another Z, or 510. Autox'ing in the miata, we saw some beautiful 510s, and met Peggy and Dennis Hale, and some of the other nasa-x folks. So, when a project 510 came up on craigslist last year, Kaboom was born.

As someone who is more familiar with motorcycles, I normally have a Suzuki SV 650 as my primary transport. Something about having a modest 78 horsepower (perhaps) simple moto, that takes very well to swaps and suspension modification, can run a track day, then commute to work the rest of the week - is a blast to ride ragged, and aggressively, whilst still looking like a bit of a sleeper -- well, that's music to my ears. Given that the SV has an unknown amount of miles on it's second or third motor, is clothed in Kawasaki 636 bodywork with Yamaha R6 headlights, suspension from a GSXR 600, 1000 and 636, and inspires either bemused or confused glances from most, has been rebuilt many times, and can never be sold... well there you have it.

So when I went back to four wheels, the 510 was a perfect choice. Just about the same age as me, with a stripped interior, no heater or fan, a dreadfully uncomfortable Butler Built seat from a circle tracker or something, a rollcage that might make NASAx, but certainly not any SCCA event, and a "510 Again" sticker on the windscreen.

Then I proceeded to gut and tear it apart as one might a project car, all the while keeping it a a daily driver, commuting 80 miles/day. This leads to some very interesting and entertaining tales, certainly. Several electrical fires later, we gave up trying to rehab the 38yr old wiring, and pulled everything.. Often times the only thing that was actually hooked up was the stereo (making a 40mi freeway drive in thes morning bearable in a car noisier then most motorcycles. (almost - I don't wear a helmet and earplugs in the car) Anyways, last night I finished wiring the new fuse/relay panel and ran essential wiring (lights, turn, wipers) at 2:30am. Five hours later, I stumbled out of bed, flipped the ignition, and everything fired up first kick. Took off for work, and seized the motor 3 miles later on the freeway.

Coming back to the house on the flatbed a few hours later, it was obvious there was a sizable oil puddle in the driveway that hadn't been visible at 3am.

OK, so that brings us to now. Under the constraints of a obstinately 'daily driver' project car in a un-budgeted, emergency situation - I'm looking for a local (San Francisco Bay Area) L series motor that can be swapped in with a minimum of fuss, quickly and cheaply. Haven't pulled the head yet, but current block is a L-16 with a 2.0 SSS head, and Weber DGV. I don't have a garage to work in, but weather has been awfully nice this week, and I can dig up an engine hoist.
IMG_8772.jpg
defdes
Supporter

Re: SF Bay '71 2d project daily dvr nds L series motor urgently!

Post by defdes »

Try Troy Ermish:
510-252-1001
510 Parts Outlet
45301 Industrial Pl #4
Fremont, CA
tinrooster

Post by tinrooster »

Yeah, I've talked to Troy before about this car, he's on my list of people to contact today, along with Dennis.
510ER
Supporter

Post by 510ER »

well i wish i was closer so that i could help out but im not. Anyway i enjoyed your intro and welcome to the rizealm post some more pics when your not franticly searching for an engine!
Spokane, Washington
71 2dr L20b stroker project
77 620 Looong box *sold used $$$ for rear coilovers and LSD
tinrooster

Post by tinrooster »

hmm. I figured you might appreciate this from your project postings. :D Well, as it turns out Troy just pulled a L16 from a customers car, condition unknown but running when pulled. $200. We'll pick it up later today.

anyone in the Bay Area have a good engine hoist I can borrow? :idea:

some more pictures? there are lots, but this was from the past few days:
IMG_8778.jpg
another view of the dash build:
IMG_8771.jpg
and a crappy picture of the new buss/relay panel taken at 3am last night. it looks cleaner installed.
IMG_8758.jpg