Engine swap

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
gregg90

Engine swap

Post by gregg90 »

Does anyone know if a 1600 CC out of a 1971 510 will fit in a 1978 510?
qwik510
Supporter

Re: Engine swap

Post by qwik510 »

gregg90 wrote:Does anyone know if a 1600 CC out of a 1971 510 will fit in a 1978 510?
It should but why would you want to?

The 78 (HL510) came with an L20 and the 71 (PL510) is only a 92HP L16.

Somtimes FREE is too expensive.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Yes but there is absolutely no advantage to doing this unless the L20B is toast, you have to get it going and you happen to have a running L16 around. You will need to use the L16 flywheel for sure but could use either clutch. If the L20B is an automatic you will HAVE to get an L16/18 automatic flex plate for it, no way around this.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
gregg90

Post by gregg90 »

The only reason I would want to is to get rid of the vacuum system. Would it be possible to just put the intake and carbs from the L16 on the L20?
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Are you talking about the emissions system??? Most of it has no effect on the running. If it has an air pump cut the belt off to disable it. If you feel you have to,... take the pump and hoses off too. Pull the vacuum line off the carb that goes to the EGR to disable... its the hose furthest to the back on the valve cover side of the carb. Cap the fitting on the carb. No vacuum, no EGR. That's about it.

Will you gain anything?.... if the stock system is working...no.

Yes the L16 carb/manifold will fit the L20B but both are smaller than the L20B and will limit power and performance.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
gregg90

Post by gregg90 »

Thanks, the reason I want it off for one is where I live no emissions are required and secondly I have a vacuum leak that i can hear and I believe it may be what is causing the stalling of my engine. Really I have no reason to have all the emission stuff there i might as well be rid of it right?
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Just fix the leak... easier. probably a split hose. Pinch hoses near the manifold or carb with needle nose pliers and try to isolate the leak. Could be carb gasket... check bolts are tight. Manifold the head bolts tight?

Once you start removing stuff it's easy to get in over your head and you end up adding problems that weren't there. It's a lot of work to remove it all and do a good job .... and it still won't run any better. Just remember there are a few ways to get anything right but an infinite number of ways to f--k it up. This is a perverse law of the universe.
gregg90

Post by gregg90 »

Ok Datzenmike, I have one more question regarding the vacuum system/carbs I have in my possession a set of Volvo 2.0 liter carbs with a modified intake manifold to fit a Datsun block. If i were to put these carbs in the L20 would i be able to be rid of my vacuum system?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

You still need vacuum to operate the vacuum advance mechanism in the distributor, you'll still want a functioning PCV system, and I imagine you have a brake booster which will need vacuum to operate.

So, no. What do you mean when you say "vacuum system?"
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
gregg90

Post by gregg90 »

when i say vacuum system i mean like all the crap hooked up to my carb. I really hate it all and i want to be rid of it. But from what i am getting from everyone on here is that its a bad idea. So I think i will just go with you guys on this one and quit obsessing over getting rid of it. Thanks for the help!!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

gregg90 wrote:But from what i am getting from everyone on here is that its a bad idea.
It's a bad idea to try to do something like that without a full understanding of what you're doing. Yes, in essense I'm saying that if you don't know what you're doing maybe you shouldn't do it, but I don't mean it in a bad way. It usually leads to a non-running car, and trying to diagnose vacuum-hose issues over the internet when the OP isn't knowledgable about the system is...difficult.

The 2L Volvo SUs wouldn't be a good match for your L20B anyway. Too big. A nice set of 38mm SUs would be great, but you'd have to figure out how to get 'em running and tuned. Maybe in a couple years. In the mean time, spend time working on your car doing small projects (oil, brakes, valve adjustment, "tune up," etc.). Exposure to the mechanicals is the only way you're going to be able to do something like you propose in the future.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
gregg90

Post by gregg90 »

Thanks for the help. I appreciate the help I am 18 and just trying to get everything I want going but I guess patience is a virtue I have done a head gasket and water pumps etc... But this is something over my head I hope to learn everything I can thank you for everything.