Vintage bike rack?

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
nickledimeme
Supporter

Vintage bike rack?

Post by nickledimeme »

Anybody have any pics of a era correct bicycle rack for a 510 ? Or have one they want to sell ? I am going to restore 1976/77 vintage BMX bike next and thought it would be cool to be able to carry it on the 510. Just like when I was a kid.....except I need a rack now and not just going to throw it in the trunk. :D

Thanks
hang_510
Supporter

Re: Vintage bike rack?

Post by hang_510 »

nickledimeme wrote:except I need a rack now and not just going to throw it in the trunk. :D
restore a wagon with a rack and then throw it in the back :lol:

my friend is looking to see what there is around the shop he hangs out at...didnt recall anything vintage though
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I was racing BMX bikes in that era, and I remember my fathers car having a bike rack that was a steel tube frame that hooked to the bumper, and had two nylon straps with hooks that clipped onto the front edge of the trunk for support...

It was a hokey item, and it needed to be removed in order to open the truck....but it would be period correct!

Thanks cool that you are restoring your BMX bike. I still have my last BMX bike I raced - a Redline 600a, with Flight Cranks, Arya rims, Redline bars and period correct Comp III tires, which are pretty rotten now! I think I have ODI Mushroom grips, Odyssey brake calipers, an RL lay back seat post (cause I was always a big guy!), Bear trap shin destroying pedals and a Uni seat (and man those are hard on the ass!) The items I am missing from the day are the CW bars, and my Forklifer goose neck. I gave those away in my youth to a go getter youngster next door, but now I wished I hadn't. My wife constantly bugs me to get rid of the bike - "You never use it, just throw it out...". But she doesn't understand. That bike, and the many, many bikes that came before it (GT, Hutch, CCM, Norco Spitfire, Skyline, Skyway, Diamond Back.. I know there were more) hold a very special place in my life, and it's a piece of my history I choose to keep.

Cool that you have an old BMX bike - did you race in the day, Dom?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
sdterrible1

Post by sdterrible1 »

I am thinking about making a rack for my car since i ride almost everyday lol. I want something old school looking that can hold two bikes on the roof using the fork to mount it. Im probably going to style it off the VW style ones. I want it to sit as low as possible over the roof and the new ones sit up way to high for my taste!

My main goal is getting my car running right now so the rack is gona have to wait for about a month or so :evil:
Drive a Datsun
nickledimeme
Supporter

Post by nickledimeme »

Byron510 wrote:I was racing BMX bikes in that era, and I remember my fathers car having a bike rack that was a steel tube frame that hooked to the bumper, and had two nylon straps with hooks that clipped onto the front edge of the trunk for support...

It was a hokey item, and it needed to be removed in order to open the truck....but it would be period correct!

Thanks cool that you are restoring your BMX bike. I still have my last BMX bike I raced - a Redline 600a, with Flight Cranks, Arya rims, Redline bars and period correct Comp III tires, which are pretty rotten now! I think I have ODI Mushroom grips, Odyssey brake calipers, an RL lay back seat post (cause I was always a big guy!), Bear trap shin destroying pedals and a Uni seat (and man those are hard on the ass!) The items I am missing from the day are the CW bars, and my Forklifer goose neck. I gave those away in my youth to a go getter youngster next door, but now I wished I hadn't. My wife constantly bugs me to get rid of the bike - "You never use it, just throw it out...". But she doesn't understand. That bike, and the many, many bikes that came before it (GT, Hutch, CCM, Norco Spitfire, Skyline, Skyway, Diamond Back.. I know there were more) hold a very special place in my life, and it's a piece of my history I choose to keep.

Cool that you have an old BMX bike - did you race in the day, Dom?

Byron

Thats cool Byron....you can still find alot of parts on ebay to bring your Redline back to original. Yep I remeber most racks back then had nylon straps with hooks and or suciton cups.

Byron I only got to race 2 times back in 1976/77 at the old Auburn Down Hill track....I was 10. My DAD would not let me race anymore since I liked to crash hard.....that and the Mini Dads screaming at their kids to "pedal pedal pedal" ! He also did not like to spend the $$$ mostly.
I went the opposite direction with my son.....I got him into racing Motocross at 6. Not much beats the family time at the track we have had.

Anyways.....I stumbled across one of my favorite BMX bike frames I owned back in 1976. It is a CYCLE PRO FOILER...which was the PRE-FMF, RACE INC, frame. It was stolen from me in the 6th grade at the local Pool. I got it back 2 years later at the basketball courts in the projects across from my house in High Point West Seattle. It had been stripped of all the good stuff. The kid was pushing it by the courts while I was playing ball with my dad. I stoped in my tracks. I said to my dad...."that's my bike frame" so he walked over and snatched it right out from under him. He looked at the kid and said this is my son's bike frame. The kid started to argue for a second. Dad said where do you live and the kid about 14 years old took him back to his house where the mom called the cops. The cops showed up and we i.d. the frame. The i.d. number where ground off the bottom but I remebered I had scratched the frame pretty bad when I broke my chain on a ride and had to replace the master link with a nail so I could ride her back to Seattle from Bainbridge Island. That kid had the bike stripped apart in less than 5 minutes in front of the 2 cops and handed the frame back over to my DAD. The cops looked at each other with their eye brows raised shaking their heads. :roll:

Anyways I made the mistake of selling that frame to a friend of mine later that year since I could never afford to buy the parts to build it again.

I also at one time or other had a Torker and a CYC Stormer.....that was the bike I rode at the Down Hill races. I remeber some kid talking shit about it as we pushed our bikes up this huge hill to the start. He was some rich brat who had a brand new Suzuki bike. He said "your bike is a piece of SHIT Stormmmmer dude". I pulled hole shot on all of them and was gone. With my jeans T-shirt and a Barrowed metal flake helmet from the local bike shop "PEDAL PUSHERS". :lol:
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Sorry, but off subject. Anyone know where I could find a Koss Cruiser?
I have only known 1 person with one back in 1981. and there are no hits on Google. It's basically a 26" BMX style frame for those that don't know.
*EDIT: Just found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-School-BMX-KOS- ... 286.c0.m14
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

i raced a hutch back in the 80's i got it down to 14 pounds it was awsome . man i cannot believe how much an original hutch go's for now. I feel you on the uni seat. i also had a flight crank i ran a 46 tooth sprocket on it with arayas and in the 90's i switched to sun rims lol i miss those days.

I like bike rack's on 510's it makes them look lower lol
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Dom,
Sorry to thread jack you post - but this is awesome.
Here in the Vancouver area, it's amazing how many of the 30-40 year olds first started on BMX bikes - it's pretty crazy in our club. At one time a few of us took count, and figured that about 30% of all club members had started on BMX bikes!!
I guess it's a common thread amongst ourselves - I will ask dear ole dad if he has a photo of the bike rack we had.

Byron
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

defdes wrote:Sorry, but off subject. Anyone know where I could find a Koss Cruiser?
ask niel (or i can) he can find a lot of oddball/rare/cool bike stuff.
although he hasnt found anything about my cruiser.
Byron510 wrote:Sorry to thread jack you post - but this is awesome.
bike racks - 3 o'clock :!:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
nickledimeme
Supporter

Post by nickledimeme »

Oh yea Bike racks.....anyway thread jack away, at least we are all on the same topic of old school BMX bikes.

I spoke with Ray Stonhocker today for 30 minutes about vintage BMX bikes. He said the last time he was a car event all the Honda guys where rolling around on late 80's early 90's Freestyle BMX bikes. I laughed because they had already beat me to the idea. We may as well get real Old School on them now and go with the Schwinn 3 speed.

Ray said he might build me a custom rack for my car also....he got a tubing bender he wants to put to use more.

Here are some links

Caution...the bikes and parts can cost more than alot of peoples 510's on this site. :shock:

http://www.os-bmx.com/forums/index.php

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I used my BMX bike as a pit bike for years through my 20's, but after I hit my 30's and the metabolizm strated slowing down (ie: the beer gut started being very noticable)... well I down right looked funny on my old BMX bike. But still love it, and ride it only after dark in the driveway!! :lol:

I raced for about 5 years, and was quite competitive locally near the end. Unfortunately my father had a change of jobs and no longer had the time to take my brother and I out to the races - and it was a long ride to get to the track. I tried a few times to ride there and then race. Although it was a good work out getting there, it took too much out of me, and by the end of the days races, and being out in the blazing sun all day, getting back home was a real challenge. In fact I can remember the last couple times I couldn't make it back home, and ended up calling a friends parents to come and pick me up because I simply couldn't pedal home!! :roll: But I have a small group of trophies in a box somewhere, and I think I even kept a few magazines from the day. About 10 years ago I remember going through a box of old stuff and I came across the packaging that a set of ODI Mushroom grips came in. I don't know if you guys remember (and certainly the 25 and under crowd would have no idea) but those came in a Styrofoam box much like your Big Mac used to come in - it was pretty funny, since that packaging has been gone for 20 years! Remember the CD crank sprocket plates? How about Tuff Wheels, Z rims and talking about freestyle – did you guys always fight with your Gyro’s to get the rear brakes to actually work? Again I was a bit guy, and I gave up on these because the rear brakes were just too important. Then there was the ¼ and ½ pipe stuff. I thought I was doing well on them, but I watch what these nut bars are doing now on the X games and I shake my head – I feel unworthy to these guys! But man I had fun. The BMX bike kept me busy, broke and in good shape. It likely also kept me on the strait and narrow as I saw many of my friends head down a different path to lives on the no so legal side of things. Great times from this inner city kid in the 80’s

Good memories.

Riders Ready, Pedals Ready, GO.... then it was a race to see who'd bail on the first table top jump out of the downhill gate! Awesome!!

Byron