Wagon Brake options

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
sil8y

Wagon Brake options

Post by sil8y »

I need a little help. Pretty basic stuff to you all. But, a little help would be appreciated. I have a 70 510 wagon and i need brake options. mostly for the back, but i would like any input as far as a brake upgrade goes. I dont know what will swap over or what really works. i dont have the cash for some willwood big brake five lug set up. I wanna keep the 4 lug and my 15's. So, im looking for something that will fit. The car has a KA-E, T3 tension rods, quickor sway bars, and chopped 280zx springs... ohh, and lowering blocks out back... lame.

Also, i do plan on keeping the live axle and adding a four link so any disk brake options out back that help that along is ok with me. :)
The wagon @ Canby 2009
The wagon @ Canby 2009
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Wagon Brake options

Post by okayfine »

If you have stock brakes up front, the first and best suggestion is to move to 280ZX brakes at the front. Rear brakes, especially on a 510 and especially in an unloaded wagon, don't have a lot to do with retardation.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Spend the money on the front disc brake and suspension (shocks) first. The backs only do 30% or less of the actual stopping so up grading will only cause them to lock up easier. Rear disc are more for show, so do them last only when you can afford them.

Nice goon!
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
sil8y

Post by sil8y »

Thanks.
Is all the 280 stuff bolt on? Master cylinder choices? 280up-grade kits? lines?
I have heard a little bit about using a Ford 9" or 83 turbo 200sx, 84 s12? anybody know anything about that?
m33pm33p
Supporter

Post by m33pm33p »

Do a search in the technical archive and you will find all the info on 280 brakes. A ford 9 inch is overkill unless you're popping out 400+ hp and hitting the drag strip all day. Not realistic for a datsun wagon..
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

sil8y wrote:Thanks.
Is all the 280 stuff bolt on?
Mostly. All the info is here on The Realm.
sil8y wrote: Master cylinder choices?
Depends on how you like your brake pedal feel. You can run the stocker initially, but it might be a bit cush for you. Biggest I'd suggest is 7/8" from the Z cars. I'd stay away from the ZX 15/16th unless you're also going to run the ZX booster.
sil8y wrote: 280up-grade kits?
Any that are otherwise available. Can't say you're really going to need one provided your wagon is street-only.
sil8y wrote: lines?
You can use the stock lines. If that's not your question, rephrase.
sil8y wrote:I have heard a little bit about using a Ford 9" or 83 turbo 200sx, 84 s12? anybody know anything about that?
No idea what you're talking about since the Ford 9" is live axle and the S12 stuff is IRS. A shortened domestic axle is overkill for an L-series as mentioned above, but if you're looking for LSD options for your wagon, it's more cost effective to go US for that. Still spendy, and not really necessary for a street wagon.

If your plans differ from those of a street wagon, you're going to have to tell us.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

okayfine wrote:No idea what you're talking about since the Ford 9" is live axle and the S12 stuff is IRS. A shortened domestic axle is overkill for an L-series as mentioned above, but if you're looking for LSD options for your wagon, it's more cost effective to go US for that. Still spendy, and not really necessary for a street wagon.
84 s12 had an H190 solid rear with 4.11 gears (open).
I'm your huckleberry.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

thisismatt wrote:84 s12 had an H190 solid rear with 4.11 gears (open).
How odd. Standing corrected.
sil8y

Post by sil8y »

I know the 83 200 turbo has the disk brakes and lsd that i was looking for. But, the chances of me finding one are a little less than none. A Ford 9" might be a little overkill. But, they are cheep and i can get 20 of them today if i need. Plus i have a KA24E in there now, but im leaving my future options open. (VQ?) Either option should be relatively easy to add a four link to. But, i was wondering if anybody has any personal experience with trying to get there Goon to stop at an autocross or wanted the ass to stop wondering when you're planted in a corner and what your solutions were. This car is driven on the street... when i need to get to Canby, PIR, or the Salem fairgrounds. Other than that, it sits in my garage.

If disk brakes and lsd can be done to my existing live axle. great. How? who? how much?
Also, i have not had the privilege of changing strut tubes, or brake conversions on this car. i just need as much input as i can get so i can make a good first decision instead of having my car down for years while i figure it out. Preemptive strike. Thank you.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

sil8y wrote:A Ford 9" might be a little overkill. But, they are cheep and i can get 20 of them today if i need.
Not so cheap after you get done with the shortening and modifications necessary to fit it to the 510. 8.8 is probably all you'll ever need, but as your future plans aren't yet made...
sil8y wrote:But, i was wondering if anybody has any personal experience with trying to get there Goon to stop at an autocross or wanted the ass to stop wondering when you're planted in a corner and what your solutions were.
Track down Anthony S., he of the turbo Supra-powered 510 wagon. He's got the most extremely modified and driven 510 around, and it's a wagon to boot.
sil8y wrote:If disk brakes and lsd can be done to my existing live axle. great. How? who? how much?
Disc brakes, yes. LSD? It's possible, but it's expensive, difficult, and rare. If discs and LSD are your goals, the Ford option is the way to go. In which case you should also get ahold of Anthony.
sil8y wrote:i just need as much input as i can get so i can make a good first decision instead of having my car down for years while i figure it out. Preemptive strike. Thank you.
You're not going to find a one-way-fits-all option. Everyone will have a different opinion. You'll also find that costs will quickly escalate for what you want. You don't want to lower with lowering blocks, which is commendable, but the alternatives involve more money, time, and expertise. Same for the reaxle - few 510 wagon owners have done that, so there's no ready-documented swap out there to point you to.

Also figure that Pete Brock has a 450HP 2-door with ZX front brakes and stock drum setup in the rear with the finned aluminum Z drums.
sil8y

Post by sil8y »

interesting, thank you. I will keep this forum updated of my plan of attack and document it for all to see! :) ...now, ...this Anthony guy...
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

sil8y wrote: ...now, ...this Anthony guy...
search the Canby threads for pix of it.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
sil8y

Post by sil8y »

I know the car well. just never met the man.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I didn't want to butcher his last name from memory. Here's his car:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/674663