Honda CRX Clutch explosion

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
Byron510

Honda CRX Clutch explosion

Post by Byron510 »

My dear 'ole dad sends me more stuff from his sleepless nights in retirement than I can possible read in my busy life. However, every once in a while I do get sent something that is worth passing along.

Check out the following link. The write up is a bit hard on the kid, but it has perfectly tangible points. Now 98% of us on this site fall into the category that is in the first line on that article - "Perhaps some of our younger readers may not know this, but drag racing legend “Big Daddy” Don Garlits is a half a foot short of two feet. ";

Now this Honda guy had the benefit of the transmission being way out in front of him. I don't know about you guys, but my transmission is not far away from where Don's transmission was in relation to my own feet in the 510! Makes me think twice about having a scatter shield!

Take a peak at this.... it's worth a minute of your time;

http://thegarageblog.com/garage/crx-clu ... ery-lucky/

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
James

Re: Honda CRX Clutch explosion

Post by James »

At a swap meet in So Cal many years ago a guy was leaving and scattered his clutch in the parking lot (while revving for the proverbial launch). Didn't hurt himself - but put holes through the hood etc. The force at which the pieces were flying was evident when looking at the divots in the pavement. Truly scary stuff.
Finished is better than perfect......
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I remember the Rotary guy, at one of the old Mario Meets. Car had just been finished or something like that. :oops:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
m33pm33p
Supporter

Post by m33pm33p »

Another example of why you don't launch FWD cars. By by intercooler haha.
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

Anyone see the one on street fire a few weeks back with the burgundy Camaro doing a burnout? Or the black Firebird parked in front of a warehouse? The camaro had a blowout that destroyed the back of it. The black firebird had the clutch grenade and both guys were lucky to be alive. The black firebird one showed a piece of clutch/fly that put a 2-3" hole in the cement below it!!!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

five&dime wrote:Anyone see the one on street fire a few weeks back with the burgundy Camaro doing a burnout? Or the black Firebird parked in front of a warehouse? The camaro had a blowout that destroyed the back of it. The black firebird had the clutch grenade and both guys were lucky to be alive. The black firebird one showed a piece of clutch/fly that put a 2-3" hole in the cement below it!!!
Post a link to the Firebird...

I did see the Camero clip, that car was pretty much a write off! That burnout competition cost him his car - backs up the foolishness of the whole thing. Each to his own I guess.
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

has nothing to do with FWD car... local guy did this to his skyline last year. huge carnage, hood flew off, bell housing was in pieces, trans tunnel looked like a bomb went off. I supose in a way it did.

plus no matter how lame FWD is... the EK civic I built for my girl friend will tromp my AE86 and when my 510s done I'm sure it won,t be any quicker... very upsetting actualy. Vtak!
:lol:

James

Post by James »

okayfine wrote:I remember the Rotary guy, at one of the old Mario Meets. Car had just been finished or something like that. :oops:
That was the one - it did seem to have just been finished.....
Finished is better than perfect......