Check you nuts if you want to keep them!

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
datzenmike
Supporter

Check you nuts if you want to keep them!

Post by datzenmike »

This is what can happen when the spinning drive shaft says " I'm out of here" There was unexplained vibration that was not found.

This happened to a ratsun member outside Portland near Canby. The bolts connecting the tranny flange to d/s came loose and fell out finally letting go. The 521 coasted to a stop and the resourceful owner used short lengths of welding rod to stitch it together. The A type shifter was also damaged and was held together with vice grips. He limped into Canby from I5 (about 10 miles?) in 1st gear for replacement bolts.

Assuming a 27" tire on the truck, 4.375 diff, 4th gear at 50 mph, the drive shaft was spinning over 2,700 RPM!!!!! That's a lot of stored energy.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
hang_510
Supporter

Re: Check you nuts if you want to keep them!

Post by hang_510 »

specialty tools motto;
"at 200 mph, do you know where your nuts are?"
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

woah!

this is also very important in the IRS cars.... 4 more sets to check, going 3-4 times faster!

everyone should do regular nut 'n bolt checks that include the u-joints.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Mike, do you know if the guy this happened to had the OE driveshaft bolts (bigger shank than the threads) or if they were just threaded bolts from HD? It seems historically the hardware-store bolts come loose much more frequently.

The original bolts aren't available from Nissan, however they're also available from any '80s Subaru with AWD. Same bolts.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

rnorrish wrote:woah!

this is also very important in the IRS cars.... 4 more sets to check, going 3-4 times faster!

The drive axle bolts are spinning 3-4 times slower.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

icehouse wrote:
rnorrish wrote:woah!

The drive axle bolts are spinning 3-4 times slower.
haha!
ooops... didn't think that one fully out. thanks Jeff.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

AWWW NUTS!
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

If we learn ANYTHING from this site, it is that of constantly checking the bits and pieces that keep our cars together, specially the drive train.
In the spring, I was doing my regular nut and bolt check, and I see that one of the c-clips on my half shaft universal, was backing it's way OUT!!! :shock: I am constantly looking at my drive train, as we have seen that failure is usually catastrophic. Things go through such heating and cooling cycles, it is imperitive to monitor all the time.

In the picture, you can see the shiny sliver of the c-clip, as it moves it's way PUT.

Take your time, make it a regular thing...it may save you some grief down the road.
Attachments
IMG_7996.JPG
IMG_7996.JPG (100.77 KiB) Viewed 3589 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Clip backing out...... mmmm maybe that's why my manual says to replace them. I do when replacing the joint as they come with the joint, but have sometimes taken apart for other reasons and just reused them.

okayfine wrote:Mike, do you know if the guy this happened to had the OE driveshaft bolts (bigger shank than the threads) or if they were just threaded bolts from HD? It seems historically the hardware-store bolts come loose much more frequently.

The original bolts aren't available from Nissan, however they're also available from any '80s Subaru with AWD. Same bolts.
Very good point Julian. I'm sure the un-threaded shoulder is stronger too. These are form a mid '80s 720 4X4 and are huge. M12 60 ft lbs.

"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs