Looking For a Datsun Specialty/Parts store in Oakland area

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
Symmonds

Looking For a Datsun Specialty/Parts store in Oakland area

Post by Symmonds »

Well my worst nightmare has just been realised...I'm starting to have annoying electrical problems with my poor 521. Its all original wiring, and before I found it, the truck was apparently sitting in a field for around 10 years. Right now I'm diagnosing problems with my windshield wipers and headlights.

Headlight issues: Its simple, I pull my 3 position switch and all of my lights turn on except my headlights. Highbeams dont work either. Hunch: Either I toasted my switch(If I did I'm SOL unless anyone can direct me to that local Specialty or I get lucky on google...OR I completely rewire that section and use some modern stuff) or my relay died. Problem is I can't find my relay and the wiring diagram I'm using isnt much help due to all of the random wiring my dad and I added :cry: .
I came to the same conclusion so far with my windsheild wipers since they turned off about 10 seconds after turning them on.

I checked my fuses and they're fine, but I may be stuck digging for those relays if they're under the dash. So, I'd be very happy if someone can point me to a specialty shop so I can see if they carry said switches, since I can't find them anywhere else.
defdes
Supporter

Re: Looking For a Datsun Specialty/Parts store in Oakland ar

Post by defdes »

There was a Datsun electrical guy named "Phil" who used to have a shop down here but moved up to NorCal a while back. Perhaps someone here will know how to get in touch with him.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

510 headlight relay is attached to the passenger strut tower. I doubt if the truck has it indoors. If it is original it is a mechanical relay inside a box housing, and it is possible to rehabilitate them. Also, search here for the headlight relay part number, there's a later Nissan ZX relay that is the same as the 510 part. If it is the same as the truck part, you're in business. Good luck finding a headlight switch - that's most likely a ratsun.net or eBay search.

Regarding the fuse box/fuses - you might as well replace all the fuses with new/known-good ones. I've had fuses disconnect internally and not blow. Also, if your fuse box is removable, take it out, dunk it in a bowl of vinegar for a couple hours, clean with water rinse, blowdry, and reinstall. That tends to take care of a wide variety of electrical gremlins.

For shops, Troy Ermish (online at troyermish.com) is a 510/racer guy in Fremont. You can search his name here, but he's got a good reputation.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

This is a simple fix.
I have had the same proplems

fiirst make sure the lamps are good. Ohm them out.

replace fuses as Okayfine has said as they can break inside at the ends.
clean the contacks.

most times when a relay goes bad you loose the headlites when you go to highbeam. But otherwise Lowbeam is OK.

I believe there is a white wire with a connection that should be close to the battery. I think it hooks up to the plus side battery cable.

wht I would do if you know your lamps are good. is just put the switch to ON and statrt missing with the wiring by wiggling and cleaning and see if the lights pop ON
Symmonds

Post by Symmonds »

Thanks for all of the suggestions, most of them came in handy and after a few hours of following wires and lots of cleaning all is well again. What I need to do next is is clean my fuse box as per okayfines instructions, since i was having resistance issues across most of my fuses and about 3 of the fuses internally disconnected; probably due to leaving the truck sitting in the garage for a month while I was out on partrol.
Now time to get a wire brush, some contact cleaner, and a few beers...them grounds look a little weathered.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Sounds like progress! And good call with the grounds!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson