620 Question

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
mrneuman

620 Question

Post by mrneuman »

Alright so near me there is a 74 620 for sale for cheap. I have a 72 510 and im looking for a motor, It came with an l16 motor but i dont think its in that great of shape. I originally wanted to do a KA swap but I think I want to get it running sooner.

Ive read that the 74 620 has an L18, its this a decent motor? how do I identify if its an L16 or L18?

Also are 620 pretty similar to the 510 for parts?

Thanks for the help
defdes
Supporter

Re: 620 Question

Post by defdes »

L18's are nice and and an easy swap but you'll see negligible performance gains. You'll identify the motor by a boss on the passenger side of the block. Right where the block meets the head they'll be a flat section where you'll see a stamp "L16, L18, L20" etc about 3/4 of the way back . Good luck.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

The boss is right behind the oil dip stick handle.

Many of the parts on it will be good for spares. Starter, alternator, regulator, 4 speed (if applicable)
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

mrneuman wrote:an l16 motor but i dont think its in that great of shape.
Why do you say this? It could be that it just needs some minor work and maintenance.
mrneuman wrote:Also are 620 pretty similar to the 510 for parts?
Drivetrain parts? Yes, such as datzenmike listed. Suspension, etc.? No.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
mrneuman

Post by mrneuman »

Thanks for the tips guys.

Im not too sure on the condition of my L16, the previous owner said he couldnt get it running good, which could be just some carb issues.
I was thinking this truck would be good both for the fact is has a working motor but to also get odd parts i need like HVAC parts possibly and like wiper motor and little things like that.
The 620 also has a z 5speed.
Gonna check it out soon
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

mrneuman wrote:Im not too sure on the condition of my L16, the previous owner said he couldnt get it running good, which could be just some carb issues.
Probably a lot easier to get your L16 running well than pulling and swapping the L18.

Not to say you should pass up the L18 if it is on offer. Always good to keep stuff like that if you can. But PO troubles with a car aren't necessarily indicative of actual troubles with a car, if you know what I mean.
mrneuman wrote: but to also get odd parts i need like HVAC parts possibly and like wiper motor and little things like that.
The 620 also has a z 5speed.
HVAC as in A/C? Or heater system parts?

Better wiper motor upgrade with the Mazda unit, if that's what you're looking for. Otherwise the 510 wiper motor generally runs forever, it's typically the linkages that bind.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

mrneuman wrote:The 620 also has a z 5speed.
Gonna check it out soon

5 speed? Well it's possible. To be sure, take some pictures of it
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs