71B Transmission Rebuild Options

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
iniazy

71B Transmission Rebuild Options

Post by iniazy »

Guys, I just busted my FS5W71B transmission, which wasn't in a very good condition to begin with. Now I'm torn between rebuilding it or buying another one. Many advised to buy another one, for being less expensive and labor intensive, but now I'm thinking if I rebuild it myself, and get decent rebuild parts for a good price, I can save a lot of money and get a long life out of it.

Edit: Forgot to mention: The fifth gear always had a whine, and popped out of fifth gear into neutral constantly. Last time it did it, it wouldn't engage into 5th gear any more, or even 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or reverse. Only 4th would work (1:1).

Trouble is, I've never rebuild a tranny before. I don't even have a good idea of how it works. I need to learn about it first, then start the rebuild. I'm sure I can do it, like how I rebuilt my VG30S engine, which was my first built engine and was very successful.

This is the transmission I have:

Which I modified by using a VG30 bell housing and now it looks like that:

Now my questions:
1. Where can I find a 71B transmission rebuild kit, if there is such a thing?
2. Are there any recommendations for buying the gears of a Skyline, for example, to get taller ratios and taller overdrive gear for better cruising?

Appreciate any input or help that I can get.

Here's a link to my engine rebuild thread:
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25206

Ibrahim
Last edited by iniazy on 14 Sep 2013 10:34, edited 1 time in total.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: 71B Transmission Rebuild Options

Post by okayfine »

DQ Volume 11 Issue 2 - Tech How-To: Rebuilding The FS5W71 5-Speed: Part I — The first of a two-part series detailing the disassembly, inspection, and reassembly of the most common L-series 5-speed transmission. This article will take you step by step through the rebuild procedure for the FS5W71 transmission. We’ll also cover a few tips not mentioned in the factory service manual.

DQ Volume 11 Issue 3 - Tech How-To: Rebuilding The FS5W71 5-Speed: Part II — The second of a two-part series detailing the disassembly, inspection, and reassembly of the most common L-series 5-speed transmission. This article will take you step by step through the inspection and rebuild procedure for the FS5W71 transmission. Well also cover a few tips not mentioned in the factory service manual.

:!:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

Thanks Julian. Should there be a link in your post,?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I don't have individual links handy to that stuff, just the master index that I can search. All DQ stuff is up at The 510 Archives:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 4340,d.cGE
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Well there's something you don't see often if at all. That's a short 71B from a 720 truck but with a 71C front case from a VG30. Very interesting
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

datzenmike wrote:Image

Well there's something you don't see often if at all. That's a short 71B from a 720 truck but with a 71C front case from a VG30. Very interesting
Yes exactly. The front case bolts right on. You seem to know your stuff really well :)

This is to make the transmission and engine combo as short as possible, to fit it in the little Suzuki Samurai.