Datsun 2000 carb linkage issue

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
two_68_510s
Supporter

Datsun 2000 carb linkage issue

Post by two_68_510s »

My son's friend Dan has a Datsun 2000 that is giving him this issue:

Dan: "Any idea why SU carbs would have resistance right as it opens? It's fine once you're driving but starting from a stop there's pressure on the pedal and throttle valve to a point where it is very difficult to accelerate smoothly from a stop. It requires more pressure on the throttle than it should to get the engine to open up, but only from idle. And it only happens when the car is running. There isn't any throttle resistance when the car is off. Its not the pedal itself sticking or the throttle cable."

Joel : "Do you mean a flat spot in acceleration or a mechanical obstruction in the pedal?

Dan : "It feels like a mechanical obstruction, but it isnt the pedal or cable. The motor runs great it's not an issue with acceleration, just pedal feel. But Its only when the car is running. When I go to push the pedal from idle, it feels stuck and then suddenly lets go, making the car jump to around 2.5k rpm. But when the car is off, the pedal moves much more smoothly like it should."

Any ideas fellows?
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Datsun 2000 carb linkage issue

Post by okayfine »

Always been an issue? Nothing off the top of my head would point to an issue with the carb bodies (insofar as I don't see how the carb bodies could create that symptom), but his symptom of linkage binding doesn't seem to be the case since he reports it doesn't feel stuck with the engine off. Interesting. Any info on when this started/what may have changed when this started?

The only thing I can think of is perhaps engine vacuum is affecting the throttle plates or some part of the smog equipment? Happens when the engine is one, but disappears when there's no vac.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

He reports no play in shaft
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Dry spot on the cable? I have see a throttle cable have one wire fray from the cable, and as it gets dragged into the housing, it binds for a MM or 2.

seen that a lot on bike cables, either right where they go through a ferrule, or the derailuer barrel adjuster.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer