what valve spring compressor should I buy ?

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
RMS
Supporter

what valve spring compressor should I buy ?

Postby RMS » 21 Sep 2016 15:03

two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!

okayfine
Supporter

Re: what valve spring compressor should I buy ?

Postby okayfine » 21 Sep 2016 18:02

The second one has an adjustable angle for the handle. I made my own and originally had a straight handle. When I tried to use it I found I ran out of room to depress the handle without it being angled up.

IMG_3975.jpg
IMG_3975.jpg (227.62 KiB) Viewed 2249 times
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

RMS
Supporter

Postby RMS » 21 Sep 2016 19:00

did you use a hole saw to make the hooks ?
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!

okayfine
Supporter

Postby okayfine » 22 Sep 2016 05:52

I don't remember. It doesn't look like I did, but I definitely should have. That part wasn't a problem, but I also believe I eventually cut a notch into the compressor piece similar to the notched replacement arm on the top version in your OP. Been a while since I used it, so details escape me.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

datsun510

Postby datsun510 » 29 Sep 2016 22:12

I use the factory valve spring compressor that was available from Datsun Comp many years ago.

okayfine
Supporter

Postby okayfine » 01 Oct 2016 06:21

Looks like the factory tool has a much longer spring compressor piece, which would mitigate my angle issues. OP's top compressor choice with the spring compressor piece mounted in the tallest config might replicate the OE positioning.

Return to “General & Technical”