wagon battery relocation

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
hang_510
Supporter

wagon battery relocation

Post by hang_510 »

who has found a good place to relocate (hide) the battery in a ('72) 510 wagon? i don't want it the back seat or to use the back. i could build a box to put under the car, opposite the gas tank, or partially in the side panel. anybody had any success or creative ideas in doing this? :idea: :idea: :idea:
Byron510

RE: wagon battery relocation

Post by Byron510 »

I dropped mine in the trunk, but it's not totally flush - it would hang below the quarter panel and be visible. But with all these new fancy small batteries available, maybe this could work for you.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
supersportsedan
Supporter

Re: wagon battery relocation

Post by supersportsedan »

hang_510 wrote: i could build a box to put under the car, opposite the gas tank, anybody had any success or creative ideas in doing this? :idea: :idea: :idea:
Yep, that is what my wagon has. The spare tire has been taken out and a custom box hung from the floor. It's not easily accessable, but easy to disconnect the lead.
hang_510
Supporter

RE: Re: wagon battery relocation

Post by hang_510 »

any pics? i want to keep the spare, but that is the largest space underneath. there may still be a little room around the 1/4 panel that may fit one of them fancy batteries, in a custom box.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
supersportsedan
Supporter

Post by supersportsedan »

Here's a bad picture. It's taken from the passenger rear bottom corner of the car, looking underneath. The gas tank is out. The passenger rear leaf spring is the big white thing in the top right of the picture. The battery box is in the bottom left of the picture, a bad angle, but you can get the idea. It's pretty much a battery shaped box. It's hung from the floor of the wagon, and you can see a little bit of it poking out when you look at the car from behind. It doesn't really leave any room for the spare tire at all. It's one or the other. I'm sure you could make something work on the outside with a small battery.
Attachments
notank1.JPG
Dimebag

Post by Dimebag »

How about this idea? Here is a guy who had an interesting idea for his 1973 BMW 2002 that could work:

"In the 2002 world, the "standard" approach is to mount a single normal-sized battery in the trunk but for me the loss of valuable trunk space in my daily driver was not acceptable. I also had major concerns about the battery being so close to the trunk-floor fuel tank and exposed filler neck (a definite weak point in the '02's otherwise excellent packaging). My solution was to mount two Hawker Odyssey motorcycle-sized SLA batteries under the rear seat. I used two where one might have sufficed because I really do not want any power supply deficiencies that could cause difficulties with the EFI on a cold morning."

This excerpt is part of a very informative Megasquirt conversion he did which you can read here if you're interested
Attachments
underseatbatt93.JPG
John Thiessen
72 Wagon
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

i have thought about under the rear seat more...those look like they keep the seat functional.

im considering removing the seat portion and retaining the back, more of a hidden storage space.

there was a 2dr wagon(at the 1/13 swapmeet) that had removed the seat and had converted it to a speaker box. no battery, just big capacitors.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

Why move it at all?
I have a honda sized battery in the front of my car, and Cams ka swap does to.
Works and looks fine.
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
86 300zx na2t VG30et converted
Dimebag

Post by Dimebag »

just cuz it looks soooooo good when it's gone...

John Thiessen
72 Wagon
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Is that your set-up D.B.?
Is that a hard line running off the fuel pressure regulator?
Dimebag

Post by Dimebag »

nope - GREG510 I think - I just found this pic as a great example of a clean engine bay, sans battery
John Thiessen
72 Wagon
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Too bad for those ugly Fram filters (too bad it holds true even if beauty comes from the inside out ;) )
I'm your huckleberry.
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

I wouldn't even use a fram as a paper weight.
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
86 300zx na2t VG30et converted
hillbillyhector

Post by hillbillyhector »

just had to chime in, since I do like your 'under the seat mini battery' approach.. stealth is alway a plus!

a few people had asked a while back about my battery box, and although STILL not completed, since the wagon is being sold now, I might as well at least post pics... the top still needs to be stitched up completely, but you guys get the picture..

.. and there I am with the neck brace!
Attachments
battboxbrokenneck.jpg
hillbillyhector

Post by hillbillyhector »

from the top
Attachments
battbox1.jpg