rear crossmember polyurathane bushings

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
wilderb

rear crossmember polyurathane bushings

Post by wilderb »

where can I buy rear crossmember polyurathane bushings? or is there any other application that can be used in the 510

I already bought poly bushings for everything else and the people said that they didnt know if they even make any for the car
thisismatt
Supporter

RE: rear crossmember polyurathane bushings

Post by thisismatt »

They're made, but I can't remember the guy I knew had them at one point. A lot of people just solid mount it to the body.
I'm your huckleberry.
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

DBM Enterprises
Paso Robles, CA.
(805)461-6429
email: dbmenterprize@hotmail.com

This is were I purchased mine
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

That's the guy I was thinking of, cause he lives near me :P
I'm your huckleberry.
wilderb

Re: RE: rear crossmember polyurathane bushings

Post by wilderb »

thisismatt wrote:They're made, but I can't remember the guy I knew had them at one point. A lot of people just solid mount it to the body.

what do you mean solid mount? how would one go about doing this?
thisismatt
Supporter

Re: RE: rear crossmember polyurathane bushings

Post by thisismatt »

wilderb wrote:
thisismatt wrote:They're made, but I can't remember the guy I knew had them at one point. A lot of people just solid mount it to the body.

what do you mean solid mount? how would one go about doing this?
Try a search, I haven't done it myself, but probably will eventually. You end up flipping the cupped washer over so it presses on the xmember, but there might be more to it than that...
Cmac

RE: Re: RE: rear crossmember polyurathane bushings

Post by Cmac »

Or you can call

Design Products
5462 Oceanus Drive
Huntington Beach, Ca. 92649
(714)892-1513
Don Oldenburg- owner

He makes an aluminum solid mount that replaces the cup washer and rubber bushing.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Solid Mount??

Read here - took me a while to find it - should have started on page 1, not page 9!!
This thread, if read in it's entirety, will tell you just about all you need to know about the rear X member mods, and a dozen different ways to do them!

http://www.the510realm.com/PNphpBB2-vie ... rt-15.html

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Crossmember, not swing arms.
I'm your huckleberry.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Yep, they are both in there,
Second post down explaines how to do the cross member mods..

-----------------------------------------------------------

Most of this is just resource stuff. I've spent a lot of time reading over the years, then applying as much of it as I can to our old beloved machines. What can I say - I'm sick... and lovin' it.
Mike, concerning the rear X member bushes - if you are looking for a solid rear end from a performance point of view - I've done the following mod on most of my sedans: (if you are replacing a stock worn out bush and are after a nice quiet ride, disregard the following)

Remove (and drop to just below the mounting studs) the X-member onto a jack, pull off the large thin washer and rubber isolator (probably stuck to the body). Now replace the X member against the chassis using no washer or rubber. Concerning the two washers that were on the bottom side of the X-member mount, using the thick washer (call it washer A) that used to be under the lower formed "washer" (call this washer B). Place washer A onto the stud, invert washer B, place on stud so that the outside of the "cup now contacts the X member, (washer A is just taking up the space inside the cup against the steel inner bush), place a standard flat washer on next, and with a little Never-Seize on both the thread and the face between the nut and washer - crank it up tight until the center of the cup washer is hard up against the inner steel bushing. Your X member is now firmly in place, and this will eliminate some of the "rear steer" tendencies that are built into the car. I’ve always used a new nyloc nut – best source is your local Honda motorcycle shop as they have them in stock in the right fine thread pitch. This mod will be most notable when braking hard into a corner while slightly turning in - it helps under duress for you track type guys!

--------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps, Best free suspension trick out there!
Byron
]
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Here you go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.datsun510.com/photopost/show ... t=1&cat=30
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
heirfaus

Re: rear crossmember polyurathane bushings

Post by heirfaus »

Old thread, but I thought it better than starting a new one.

I have been tinkering with what to do with a couple of things on the dime. Last night I yanked the rear suspension. I had been using the savage washer, but I want a more solid connection. I am doing Byron's suggestion above. I removed the upper washer and rubber.

My guestion is: If I am going to solid mount it, what about the rubber on the bottom side that doesn't want to come off? Not quite a solid mount if there is rubber there. Also, with that being the only rubber at that connection wouldn;t it wear out really fast making the solid mount loose?
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
qwik510
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: rear crossmember polyurathane bushings

Post by qwik510 »

heirfaus wrote:Here you go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.datsun510.com/photopost/show ... t=1&cat=30
These Savage Washers are the way to go if you are using the car for the street. Not nearly as noisy as solid mounting and really tightens up the crossmember.

Easy mod to do and cheap too.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I'm trying the picture in my mind which rubber on the bottom side that you are referring to. If the steel and rubber washer at the top have been removed (as above) and that rubber also been removed - the cross member placed against the floor on the stud, then all you should see on the bottom side is the stud protruding through the X member steel sleeved rubber bushing. The only parts you re-install are the thick steel washer, the invert and install the steel cup - crank till it's tight. There should be no rubber used on the bottom side. Also, I've always used a locking nut on this stud, if you don't have a new one, the old one will probably work fine. Just check it after a few drives.
I don't know about you guys, but I do a chassis bolt check once a year anyways on my car. The X member bolts are on that check list. My car is so freekin’ stiff that stuff does rattle loose. Besides, it's good to give any car a once over at regular intervals.

Hope that helps clear things up.

Byron
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Datsport has poly crossmember mounts. I have them in my car.