Barn Find - Yes, a true Barn Find! 1977 Datsun 620 King Cab

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
qwik510
Supporter

Barn Find - Yes, a true Barn Find! 1977 Datsun 620 King Cab

Post by qwik510 »

I posted this on Ratsun but thought some of you might enjoy seeing it too.

I want to start out by thanking Ratsun. If not for this great forum, I would have never found this great Datsun barn find.

It all started a few months ago. July 21st to be exact. I was checking out the classifieds on Ratsun and I saw an ad for a 1977 Datsun 620 King Cab Pickup. The ad said it was a one owner truck with only 29k miles located in Maine. It went on to say it has been sitting in a barn for the past 30+ years. There was no price listed at the time and the phone number in the ad was incomplete but all this was enough to peak my interest so I sent an email to the seller asking him to contact me.

Bill, the truck's owner, called me in the morning. He said he used to work as the Parts Manager at a Datsun dealership (Datsun World in Auburn, Maine). He bought the truck in May of 1977 while working at the dealership. He and his wife used the truck for only a few years and then he parked it in his barn and put it up on blocks for the winter. He planned to take it back out in the Spring but got busy with life and never got back to it. Three plus decades later, he decided he would never get around to returning it to its former glory so he decided to sell it. He searched the internet, found Ratsun and placed a classified ad.

Here was the one picture he had used with his ad.

I asked Bill for more pictures of the truck and he said he would need to clear a path to it in the barn so he could take some pics. (The truck was surrounded by other stuff that had accumulated over the years) I checked back in with Bill after a week but he had not gotten around to it yet. Another week and then another and I would just check in from time to time. I finally got an email from Bill with a few more pics. I arranged for a Datsun buddy of mine who lives pretty close to there to go see the truck for me. My buddy confirmed the condition and sent me some more pics.

This is how it looked in the barn.

I spoke with Bill on the phone and after a bit of haggling, Bill and I came to an agreement on the price and I sent a deposit. I told Bill I would be coming up to get it and tow it back to Maryland and he offered me the use of his "camp" for accommodations. His camp was a cottage on the lake close to his house.

So I made plans to go to Maine and pick it up. I figured this would be a good trip to combine with a vacation. My girlfriend and I drove up there with my tow dolly and all my tools, etc. well prepared to bring it home to Maryland.

We left Maryland last Monday and stopped in Woodstock, NY on Monday afternoon. It was a very cool little town and we did some sightseeing, shopping and tourist stuff.
We stayed in a B & B that night, hung out the next morning and hit the road around 11am.

We got up to Bill's place in Maine Tuesday afternoon and met Bill. After some introductions and small talk, I couldn't take it anymore and had to see the truck. Bill let me open the garage door. I lifted the door and there it was.

Bill had cleared out all the stuff around it but had not touched the truck. It was still up on stands and pushed up close to the back wall. I was so excited, I forgot to take pics. It was so straight and original. It still had the original bias ply Toyo tires up front, some snow tires on the back, the original individual cell battery, etc. the interior was super clean too. It had some light mildew and some years of dust but under the mats, the carpet looked new.

I was planning to disconnect the driveshaft to tow it home so crawled under the truck to spray some PB Blaster on the bolts of the driveshaft. I finished that and it was getting late so we closed up the garage and Bill had us follow him to the lake. It was only a mile from his house. His camp was a nice little cottage on Sabbath Day Lake. Here is the view we got upon arrival.

Bill showed us around the place, gave us directions to the local grocery store and Chinese food restaurant and said goodbye. Our plans were to enjoy the lake on Wednesday and then go and have dinner with Chris (my Datsun buddy) and his family that evening. Then go back over to Bill's on Thursday morning to get the truck ready for the trip. Then sightseeing on Thursday and load up and hit the road Friday morning.

We went Kayaking on the lake Wednesday and enjoyed a beautiful day. Then we drove to Chris's house, checked out his place and then all went out to dinner at a nice seafood restaurant on another lake nearby. Well it wouldn't be Maine without lobster so lobster it was. And live music too. We had a great time. Thanks again Chris!

Thursday Morning I was up early and I left my GF at the cottage and headed over to get the truck ready. Since the tires on the truck were over 30 years old and I was planning on towing it with a dolly, I had brought some wheels and tires from my D21 to install on the rear of the truck. I disconnected the driveshaft first, tied it up securely under the truck. 3 out of 4 of the wheels on the truck were spinning freely. The left rear being the stuck one. I removed the wheel and beat on the drum to try to free it but it was pretty stuck. I figured I would get it on the ground and try to free it up so I installed the D21 wheel and tire and jacked it up and set the truck on the ground for the first time in 3 decades. I forgot to take a picture before changing the wheels so here is one just after.

The barn was large enough for two cars but only had one door so we had to scoot it over to get it to where it could be pushed out. We scooted it with the diff on a floor jack. Once the rear was lined up with the door, I hooked a chain to the truck and hooked the other end to the jeep and we gave a tug. The stuck wheel came free easily and we guided the truck out into day light for the first time in 30+ years.

I got the other D21 wheel mounted and headed back to the cottage so Melissa and I could go and enjoy the rest of the day sightseeing, etc.

We went to see the Maine Headlight, an historic lighthouse on Cape Elizabeth.

Then we had lunch at The Lobster Shack at Two Lights. It was a feast.

Then we headed up to Freeport Maine to see the original LL Bean store and do some shopping.

It was a great day despite the on and off rain.

Friday morning we loaded up,said goodbye to a very sad Bill and headed home. The trip was going well but we had a tire blow out on the tow dolly in CT Friday afternoon. I didn't have a spare but was able to get it fixed and back on the road in only 1 1/2 hours. We spent two days on the road coming back. Got back Saturday afternoon. It was good to be back home safe and sound. Sunday I took some pics. I have not cleaned any of it yet. I will be starting in on it this week.

I can't wait to start in on it. The plan is to pull the plugs, squirt some oil in the cylinders, let it soak in for a few days, do it again then try to turn it over by hand. I want to get it running to access the condition of the engine then I'll move on to other areas. All the fluids and lines will need to be cleaned out along with the gas tank, radiator, etc.

Specs on the truck.

1977 Datsun 620 King Cab deluxe - optional 5 speed, A/C, AM/FM Stereo. The factory tach and tail gate protector were installed by Bill on day one. It was fully rust protected with Rusty Jones Rust protector applied day one by Bill. Step and tow rear bumper installed by Bill too

More to come soon..
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
James

Re: Barn Find - Yes, a true Barn Find! 1977 Datsun 620 King

Post by James »

That truck is very cool. Nice buy.
Finished is better than perfect......
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Great story and even greater find! LUV IT! :mrgreen:

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

That truck is a keeper damn. The 5-speed is the desirable type back in the day also. Yes a lot of work ahead of you Dave. Don't forget to pull the valve cover and make sure to remove any surface rust on any of the valve train components. Sitting idle for 30+ will do that. Ok I'm betting it turns over and starts with in 8 cranks of actually trying to start it.

Lou "But I'll still buy the beers next May 10 for you, B1 and I"
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Heck.....I'm not sure if I like the truck or the lunch pictures.......

What a find, too cool......

Drain oil, pull valve cover as suggested, when ready to crank/fire, make sure you drizzel some oil over the cam first and down the timing chain..
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Thanks for all the nice comments. I know I am very lucky to have this one. I will follow all the advice and make sure it is all well coated prior to firing it up.

Any other suggestions?
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Lucky? Come on Dave you're just smart in how you go about looking for such deals. I mean you have come across some of the best buy, clean resell for a profit deals than anyone I know. Lucky no, smarts gets the deals yes!!
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Thanks Lou. I guess it is my passion for these old Datsuns that keeps me on the hunt.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

I gave her a bath this morning.

She washed up nicely. Lots more to do though.

Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

I worked on the truck a bit today. In preparation for starting the engine, I pulled the spark plugs and squirted some oil into the cylinders. I then changed the oil and installed a new oil filter. I pulled the valve cover and lubed the cam, timing chain, etc. I drained the radiator. The coolant that came out looked like new. I also drained the gas tank. It had less then 1/2 gallon in there and it was coming out clean with no particles in the gas and no rust that I could see.

After letting the oil soak into the cylinders for a while, I put a 27mm socket on the crank bolt and slowly turned it a bit. It was free. Little to no resistance. Sweet.

I sanded the points a bit and I replaced the fuel filter. The truck has an electric fuel pump located back near the tank on the passenger side.A stock type fuel filter is also mounted back there. I guess that the trucks with A/C had to have an electric pump since the A/C compressor is in the way of where the stock mechanical one would mount. Speaking of in the way, the number one spark plug is much tougher to get to with A/C. Luckily, Bill gave me a special wrench that makes it much easier.

I need to go and buy a battery and some coolant and fresh gas tomorrow. Then clear the gas lines and try to start it.

Here are pics of under the valve cover. Looks almost new.

Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That looks awesome! The cam is mint for sure.

Very cool find
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Agreed, this is a cool find.

I've had a few 620, but no KC. The last two were '78's, both with disc brakes. But I was under the impression that all 77 MY and up had electronic ignition. These models in particular had the remote ignitor boxes under the dash. But you say yours has points - interesting.

What is cool is that the tach is in place. Hard item to find for a 620.

A blue 620KC came up for sale locally a couple months ago, I had to hold back.

Nice truck for sure.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Its been a couple of busy weeks and I have not had much time to work on the truck. I got some coolant and a fresh battery and installed it. Most of the electrical stuff seems to be working. All of the running lights, tail lights, radio, wipers, heater and A/C fans, etc. The only things not working properly are the horn and the headlights. I am thinking that the relays need some attention.

I cleaned out a few mice nests under the hood and did find a bit of rust under the battery area. Seems the rodent urine along with their nesting materials sitting in there for years did cause a small (1/2") rust hole in one corner. There was also one small wiring harness that had been chewed. Luckily this was just the A/C harness from the compressor to the under dash evaporator and will be easy to repair. I didn't find any other wire damage.

I tried to get her started last week but found I was not getting any spark. Hard to diagnose by myself so this past Saturday, my buddy (and Master Mechanic) Vince came by to help me out. We spent and hour or so checking everything, replacing the coil, and finally determined that the condenser was bad. After replacing it, we got her to fire up. The motor runs strong. It is quiet and smooth and I am sure it will run really great once I replace the points and the original spark plug wires and set the timing, etc.

Here is a video of the start up. You can hear a bit of ticking but it quieted up after a short time. some of the ticking was coming from the smog pump. When I covered the open hose from the pump to the air cleaner, the noise went away. The exhaust has a leak too. But that will just get added to the to do list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18hAdk4mYjg

Next up, clear the brake and clutch lines, get them working again and take a test drive.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Edm620

Re: Barn Find - Yes, a true Barn Find! 1977 Datsun 620 King Cab

Post by Edm620 »

Wah, pictures are no longer posted. What's the current status on the truck?
"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there"
Ugandan Proverb

76 620 Full custom/resto-mod
qwik510
Supporter

Re: Barn Find - Yes, a true Barn Find! 1977 Datsun 620 King Cab

Post by qwik510 »

Edm620 wrote:Wah, pictures are no longer posted. What's the current status on the truck?
The truck was sold to a car collector and is now part of a 200 car collection.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage