Project 635 - 300HP RWD 620

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
DADZSUN
Supporter

Re: Project 635 - 300HP RWD 620

Post by DADZSUN »

Byron510 wrote: 05 Feb 2021 23:39 The Aeromotive fuel pressure reg?

Aren’t these Nissan engines without a fuel return line?
Maybe you could fill us in :-)

Byron

Good guess but that's not it.

Yes, the VQ35DE runs a returnless fuel system. Rather than configure a 'dead head' fuel pressure regulator system I swapped to a full return setup. Pics are in an earlier post (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32574&start=30#p285976)

Here's another hint:
FirewallDooHickey.jpg
FirewallDooHickey.jpg (228.27 KiB) Viewed 152 times
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabes, STI R180 w/CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - 2021 Datsun Restomods R&D project
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
Edm620

Post by Edm620 »

That's hidden pretty well but based on location I'd say that's your steering box. A means of modifying the steering gear to fit within the space? How is it connected underneath?
"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there"
Ugandan Proverb
DADZSUN
Supporter

Project 635 - Pedals, steering, shifting

Post by DADZSUN »

Edm620 wrote: 08 Feb 2021 08:04 That's hidden pretty well but based on location I'd say that's your steering box. A means of modifying the steering gear to fit within the space? How is it connected underneath?

Bang on. Aside from maybe the cab floor/rocker repairs, and front G35 shock tower alignment & fastening, mounting the steering and pedals has been the most time-intensive task on this build yet. Room is VERY limited as a result of the following new challenges:
  • Electric steering column under the dash that was never there before
  • Dash has been shortened 1", even less room
  • Brake and clutch Master Cylinders (MC) are forced under dash due to the G35 shock towers butting up against the firewall (as a result of 620 short front overhang)
  • VQ has been shifted FAR back for better weight balance
I originally posted last spring that steering was done, and it was. I had acceptable angles and assisted action was nice. The problem was that the steering shaft went straight down from the assisted column to the rack. I eventually realised that I was unable to pivot my right foot from the throttle pedal to the brake pedal w/o hitting the steering shaft.

BevelBox.jpg
BevelBox.jpg (143.19 KiB) Viewed 80 times

The solution I came up with was to run the steering shaft parallel through the cab then 90 degree down after the firewall via a bevel steering box. Flaming River offers a beautiful unit but it's really pricey and basic accessories further added to the price. Instead I decided to gamble on a mid-80's Toyota van steering box. I sourced a brand new (latest version) box and was pleasantly surprised that the size was perfect and the spline pattern is identical to that of Datsun (making the Ujoints for the upcoming 510 steering kit work perfect).

BevelBox_Placement.jpg
BevelBox_Placement.jpg (131.91 KiB) Viewed 80 times

It was super tight to mount on the firewall, but the end result was a direct line to the steering rack (each end circled in the pic). The box is fastened to the shock tower for maximum stiffness and will 'float' on the firewall.

UnderDash_SteeringShaft.jpg
UnderDash_SteeringShaft.jpg (101.35 KiB) Viewed 80 times

This is a rough idea of the steering shaft under the dash. I've since tilted the steering column down a bit so the angle is even less. Very smooth action down the shaft and through the bevel box.

PedalPlacement.jpg
PedalPlacement.jpg (133.54 KiB) Viewed 80 times

With the steering finally placed the next task was pedal placement. It was a real challenge to get the pedals high enough, and over to the right. Don't forget this is unassisted braking so brake pedal lever length will play a large role in brake feel/performance. Thankfully the Tilton hanging pedals are super adjustable so there is some ability to tweak later on.

PedalPlacement_2.jpg
PedalPlacement_2.jpg (132.36 KiB) Viewed 80 times

Despite all the adjustability and care in placement, to get a comfortable distance I may eventually build recess 'pockets' into the firewall for the pedal arms to fully action w/o hitting the firewall (red marker outlines on the firewall). You can see that the steering shaft travels through where the rear brake Master Cylinder would be so I mounted the included remote feed nipple to relocate the MC reservoir further to the left (circled in red).

PedalShifterPlacement.jpg
PedalShifterPlacement.jpg (130.98 KiB) Viewed 80 times

Here's an overhead view of the pedals to steering wheel location. The brake pedal is about 3/4" to the left of centre. This is a bit further left than initially desired but I can still comfortably reach it with my right foot, but is now also easy for my left foot (allowing me to further work my left foot braking abilities). In this pic the seat is later moved another 1" to the right. Overall I'm really pleased with how it's coming together, this standard cab 620 now has more leg room and reach than my 510, and pretty much feels like a modern full sized performance car.

Shifter_1.jpg
Shifter_1.jpg (151.26 KiB) Viewed 80 times

The test fit of the Autosports Engineering CD009 shifter can be seen in the above pic. There are many options out there but this one is the absolute shortest I could find. Rather than connecting to the box from the shifter shaft exiting the rear (like pretty much all of the other kits out there), this shifter relocation actually connects further forward and from above. Needless to say, some permanent assembly/modifications required.

Shifter_2.jpg
Shifter_2.jpg (112.85 KiB) Viewed 80 times

I'm getting really close to having the cab done. The firewall (including a removeable access panel for the rear of the VQ) is all that remains. Once the firewall is done I can finally mount the Vintage Air heater. After that some more bodywork and then off to paint, ETA end of March.
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabes, STI R180 w/CV axles, R&P assisted steering
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

You’re a magician Fritz. Epic!
Edm620

Post by Edm620 »

Try to fit up a Heim joint or similar onto the steering shafts to keep everything positioned - with so many U-joints there is potential for unexpected shaft movement resulting in binding linkage - and you don't want that happening!
"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there"
Ugandan Proverb
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

Edm620 wrote: 21 Feb 2021 18:59 Try to fit up a Heim joint or similar onto the steering shafts to keep everything positioned - with so many U-joints there is potential for unexpected shaft movement resulting in binding linkage - and you don't want that happening!
Thanks for the heads up.

In this case my setup is only running 2 Ujoints per run (ie: between two fixed points). Two ujoints are between the G35 steering rack and bevel steering box (fixed, and itself serving a role similar to a rose joint), and then another two ujoints between the bevel box's other spline interface and the power assist column (which is fixed to the firewall/dash).

But you are correct to draw attention to this. In my 510 with the electric power assist and the JB Coachworks R&P rack, I had to add a heim joint after I installed a double UJoint on the frame rail (to get a sharp enough angle around the exhaust header).
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

greenthumb wrote: 21 Feb 2021 07:21 You’re a magician Fritz. Epic!
Thanks!

Honestly, I find progress is far too slow for this to be considered magical lol. There's a lot of trial and error behind the scenes.

But it certainly is EPIC. This should be a fun ride that's 100% tailored to my physique and wants. It's a hell of a lot of work and very likely something I'll never repeat. I do have a 280z build that is scheduled next and it will be far more mainstream with the exception of a couple new prototype Datsun Restomods products installed.
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

I admire your perseverance in finding solutions to dial things in exactly as you wish.